Nov 14, 2011, 7:17 PM EDT
The NBA might be on the verge of losing its season to a labor dispute, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman isn’t worried about the expiring CBA (Sept. 12, 2012) between the league and players union.
“We’re not even focused on it,” Bettman told Sportsnet today. “(The NHLPA) have a new executive director … Don Fehr has been on his fall tour; he has told us with the learning curve he has to go through that he, at the earliest, won’t be ready to focus on collective bargaining at least until the all-star break.”
I don’t think NHL fans should be too worried about a labor stoppage. The league is in a different place than it was before the 2004-05 lockout. There are still franchises in financial trouble, but overall things are much more positive.
In stark contrast, you could see the NBA lockout coming a mile away.
The NHL’s negotiations are bound to be more like the NFL’s this past summer. There may be some strong words thrown back and forth, but at the end of the day there are too many people making money to justify a labor stoppage.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)