Nov 14, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
The NBA might be on the verge of losing its season to a labor dispute, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman isn’t worried about the expiring CBA (Sept. 12, 2012) between the league and players union.
“We’re not even focused on it,” Bettman told Sportsnet today. “(The NHLPA) have a new executive director … Don Fehr has been on his fall tour; he has told us with the learning curve he has to go through that he, at the earliest, won’t be ready to focus on collective bargaining at least until the all-star break.”
I don’t think NHL fans should be too worried about a labor stoppage. The league is in a different place than it was before the 2004-05 lockout. There are still franchises in financial trouble, but overall things are much more positive.
In stark contrast, you could see the NBA lockout coming a mile away.
The NHL’s negotiations are bound to be more like the NFL’s this past summer. There may be some strong words thrown back and forth, but at the end of the day there are too many people making money to justify a labor stoppage.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)