Nov 13, 2011, 9:01 PM EST
We suspected it earlier, and now it’s been made official — Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller suffered a concussion after being hit by Boston’s Milan Lucic in a 6-2 loss last night. Pierre LeBrun of ESPN got confirmation this evening from Sabres GM Darcy Regier, who said via text that Miller will be out indefinitely.
The news caps off a disastrous weekend for Buffalo. The Sabres spent much of yesterday publicly airing their grievances with Lucic, the officiating crew that worked last night’s game and eventually, themselves — center Paul Gaustad was openly critical of the way he and teammates failed to respond to their goalie getting bowled over.
That frustration spilled over to today, when a clearly-agitated Lindy Ruff balked on speaking with reporters after a team meeting, but not before muttering “F— the media.” He and Regier were tight-lipped for most of the day, although Regier later told the Buffalo News he felt the play warranted suspension.
“If this hit and other types of hits like this are not suspended, we are opening up the possibility of losing goaltenders to injury,” Regier said. “And not just injury, but concussion. … When I look at the position of goaltending, in a lot of ways it’s not unlike quarterback in football. I feel very strongly the protection has to be provided and players committing these types of action should be punished.”
Lucic received a two-minute charging minor on the play.
Upon announcing Miller would be out, the Sabres called up goalie Drew MacIntyre from AHL Rochester. He’s expected to back up Jhonas Enroth Monday night in Montreal.
UPDATE: TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports Lucic will have a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan tomorrow (Monday) at 1pm ET.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)