Nov 13, 2011, 9:01 PM EST
We suspected it earlier, and now it’s been made official — Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller suffered a concussion after being hit by Boston’s Milan Lucic in a 6-2 loss last night. Pierre LeBrun of ESPN got confirmation this evening from Sabres GM Darcy Regier, who said via text that Miller will be out indefinitely.
The news caps off a disastrous weekend for Buffalo. The Sabres spent much of yesterday publicly airing their grievances with Lucic, the officiating crew that worked last night’s game and eventually, themselves — center Paul Gaustad was openly critical of the way he and teammates failed to respond to their goalie getting bowled over.
That frustration spilled over to today, when a clearly-agitated Lindy Ruff balked on speaking with reporters after a team meeting, but not before muttering “F— the media.” He and Regier were tight-lipped for most of the day, although Regier later told the Buffalo News he felt the play warranted suspension.
“If this hit and other types of hits like this are not suspended, we are opening up the possibility of losing goaltenders to injury,” Regier said. “And not just injury, but concussion. … When I look at the position of goaltending, in a lot of ways it’s not unlike quarterback in football. I feel very strongly the protection has to be provided and players committing these types of action should be punished.”
Lucic received a two-minute charging minor on the play.
Upon announcing Miller would be out, the Sabres called up goalie Drew MacIntyre from AHL Rochester. He’s expected to back up Jhonas Enroth Monday night in Montreal.
UPDATE: TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports Lucic will have a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan tomorrow (Monday) at 1pm ET.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)