Nov 13, 2011, 9:01 PM EST
We suspected it earlier, and now it’s been made official — Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller suffered a concussion after being hit by Boston’s Milan Lucic in a 6-2 loss last night. Pierre LeBrun of ESPN got confirmation this evening from Sabres GM Darcy Regier, who said via text that Miller will be out indefinitely.
The news caps off a disastrous weekend for Buffalo. The Sabres spent much of yesterday publicly airing their grievances with Lucic, the officiating crew that worked last night’s game and eventually, themselves — center Paul Gaustad was openly critical of the way he and teammates failed to respond to their goalie getting bowled over.
That frustration spilled over to today, when a clearly-agitated Lindy Ruff balked on speaking with reporters after a team meeting, but not before muttering “F— the media.” He and Regier were tight-lipped for most of the day, although Regier later told the Buffalo News he felt the play warranted suspension.
“If this hit and other types of hits like this are not suspended, we are opening up the possibility of losing goaltenders to injury,” Regier said. “And not just injury, but concussion. … When I look at the position of goaltending, in a lot of ways it’s not unlike quarterback in football. I feel very strongly the protection has to be provided and players committing these types of action should be punished.”
Lucic received a two-minute charging minor on the play.
Upon announcing Miller would be out, the Sabres called up goalie Drew MacIntyre from AHL Rochester. He’s expected to back up Jhonas Enroth Monday night in Montreal.
UPDATE: TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports Lucic will have a hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan tomorrow (Monday) at 1pm ET.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)