Nov 13, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
With seven goals in 15 games, Alex Ovechkin is on pace to surpass the 32 goals he scored last season. But only barely. At his current rate, he’ll get 38.
In 2007-08, he had 65.
Given the above, CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley wonders if Ovechkin needs to reinvent himself as a player.
“Opposing defensemen and forwards are taking away his shooting lanes, getting their sticks and shin pads on many of Ovechkin’s attempts at the net,” writes Gormley.
It’s hardly breaking news the NHL has a book on Ovechkin; however, it remains to be seen if he can counter the adjustments Washington’s opponents have made to slow him down. I wouldn’t use the word “reinvent” — more like evolve.
The truly great athletes never stop taking their games to the next level. Case in point, Michael Jordan was almost 30 before he became a threat from 3-point range.
“It wasn’t a planned thing, it just happened,” Jordan told the New York Times in 1990. “It makes guys have to play me farther from the basket. If they get up on me, I can go around them. If they don’t, I can take the shot. It opens up our offense and gives the other team something else to worry about.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)