Nov 13, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
With seven goals in 15 games, Alex Ovechkin is on pace to surpass the 32 goals he scored last season. But only barely. At his current rate, he’ll get 38.
In 2007-08, he had 65.
Given the above, CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley wonders if Ovechkin needs to reinvent himself as a player.
“Opposing defensemen and forwards are taking away his shooting lanes, getting their sticks and shin pads on many of Ovechkin’s attempts at the net,” writes Gormley.
It’s hardly breaking news the NHL has a book on Ovechkin; however, it remains to be seen if he can counter the adjustments Washington’s opponents have made to slow him down. I wouldn’t use the word “reinvent” — more like evolve.
The truly great athletes never stop taking their games to the next level. Case in point, Michael Jordan was almost 30 before he became a threat from 3-point range.
“It wasn’t a planned thing, it just happened,” Jordan told the New York Times in 1990. “It makes guys have to play me farther from the basket. If they get up on me, I can go around them. If they don’t, I can take the shot. It opens up our offense and gives the other team something else to worry about.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)