Nov 13, 2011, 5:48 PM EST
The streaking Red Wings will be without Ian White for a week or two after the defenseman blocked a shot with his face on Saturday.
White saved a goal when he got in front of a shot by Dallas forward Jamie Benn. The downside? A fractured cheekbone.
Fortunately, White won’t be out for long.
“He’ll be able to play with it, once it heals reasonably well,” Detroit GM Holland said, as per MLive.com. “He’ll just need to wear some facial protection.”
Mike Commodore will slot in for White on Tuesday in St. Louis.
Brendan Smith has been recalled from the AHL, though he still has one game remaining in his five-game suspension for hitting Chicago’s Ben Smith in the head during the preseason.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)