Nov 13, 2011, 5:48 PM EST
The streaking Red Wings will be without Ian White for a week or two after the defenseman blocked a shot with his face on Saturday.
White saved a goal when he got in front of a shot by Dallas forward Jamie Benn. The downside? A fractured cheekbone.
Fortunately, White won’t be out for long.
“He’ll be able to play with it, once it heals reasonably well,” Detroit GM Holland said, as per MLive.com. “He’ll just need to wear some facial protection.”
Mike Commodore will slot in for White on Tuesday in St. Louis.
Brendan Smith has been recalled from the AHL, though he still has one game remaining in his five-game suspension for hitting Chicago’s Ben Smith in the head during the preseason.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 25
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33