Nov 13, 2011, 5:48 PM EST
The streaking Red Wings will be without Ian White for a week or two after the defenseman blocked a shot with his face on Saturday.
White saved a goal when he got in front of a shot by Dallas forward Jamie Benn. The downside? A fractured cheekbone.
Fortunately, White won’t be out for long.
“He’ll be able to play with it, once it heals reasonably well,” Detroit GM Holland said, as per MLive.com. “He’ll just need to wear some facial protection.”
Mike Commodore will slot in for White on Tuesday in St. Louis.
Brendan Smith has been recalled from the AHL, though he still has one game remaining in his five-game suspension for hitting Chicago’s Ben Smith in the head during the preseason.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)