Nov 13, 2011, 5:48 PM EDT
The streaking Red Wings will be without Ian White for a week or two after the defenseman blocked a shot with his face on Saturday.
White saved a goal when he got in front of a shot by Dallas forward Jamie Benn. The downside? A fractured cheekbone.
Fortunately, White won’t be out for long.
“He’ll be able to play with it, once it heals reasonably well,” Detroit GM Holland said, as per MLive.com. “He’ll just need to wear some facial protection.”
Mike Commodore will slot in for White on Tuesday in St. Louis.
Brendan Smith has been recalled from the AHL, though he still has one game remaining in his five-game suspension for hitting Chicago’s Ben Smith in the head during the preseason.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)