Nov 13, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
Buffalo forward Paul Gaustad said he was “embarrassed” the Sabres didn’t punish Milan Lucic for running Sabres goalie Ryan Miller yesterday in Boston. And he was right to be. It was…embarrassing. Gaustad didn’t even try to get after Lucic. He stood there hugging Nathan Horton.
That’s Gaustad (No. 28) on the far right. Not exactly the response a team should get from one of its only tough(ish) forwards after its franchise goalie gets intentionally bowled over.
To his credit, Gaustad (6′ 5″, 212 lbs.) put the blame on his own shoulders: “It falls on myself. I look at myself first, and I wasn’t good enough.”
The one Sabre I noticed, however, was Tyler Myers. By far the biggest Buffalo player pussyfooted into the scrum, went through the motions with Lucic and stopped looking angry as soon as the linesmen got between them.
“I think all of us can agree, we probably could have gone a little harder in responding to it,” Myers said.
One of the knocks on Myers is he doesn’t play nasty enough for a guy his size. This only enforced that reputation.
The Sabres host the Bruins in 10 days. Will the Sabres respond? I’d be shocked if they didn’t.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 48
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (51)