Nov 13, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
Buffalo forward Paul Gaustad said he was “embarrassed” the Sabres didn’t punish Milan Lucic for running Sabres goalie Ryan Miller yesterday in Boston. And he was right to be. It was…embarrassing. Gaustad didn’t even try to get after Lucic. He stood there hugging Nathan Horton.
That’s Gaustad (No. 28) on the far right. Not exactly the response a team should get from one of its only tough(ish) forwards after its franchise goalie gets intentionally bowled over.
To his credit, Gaustad (6′ 5″, 212 lbs.) put the blame on his own shoulders: “It falls on myself. I look at myself first, and I wasn’t good enough.”
The one Sabre I noticed, however, was Tyler Myers. By far the biggest Buffalo player pussyfooted into the scrum, went through the motions with Lucic and stopped looking angry as soon as the linesmen got between them.
“I think all of us can agree, we probably could have gone a little harder in responding to it,” Myers said.
One of the knocks on Myers is he doesn’t play nasty enough for a guy his size. This only enforced that reputation.
The Sabres host the Bruins in 10 days. Will the Sabres respond? I’d be shocked if they didn’t.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)