Nov 12, 2011, 10:53 AM EST
Aaron Rome certainly has a way of infuriating Canucks fans. During the Stanley Cup finals his hit on Nathan Horton helped change the feel of the series for the worse for Vancouver and last night he did more of the same against the Ducks.
Rome was whistled for an elbowing major penalty and kicked out of the game for his hit on Ducks rookie Devante Smith-Pelly.
To make things extra painful, the Ducks would score three times on the major en route to a 4-3 win over the Canucks. As for the hit, well, you make the call: Will Rome get suspended for this reckless abandoned run at Smith-Pelly?
The hit certainly comes late and if nothing else it should’ve been called charging rather than elbowing. The follow through on the hit certainly makes it look like elbowing. It’s a high hit but not necessarily a head shot. You could say the Canucks were punished enough giving up three goals on the major and losing the game. Will Brendan Shanahan seek more though? Rome being a repeat offender won’t help his case that’s for sure.
Does Rome sit for more or not? We’re thinking he gets away without a suspension.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 32
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 70
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)