Nov 12, 2011, 11:58 PM EDT
It’s been a horrific month-plus for Steve Mason and the Columbus Blue Jackets, but for one night, things seemed OK.
Mason stopped 35 out of 36 shots in a 2-1 win. Jeff Carter came back and although he failed to register a point, the former Flyers center won 12 out of 19 draws. Vinny Prospal continues to quietly lead the team in points with 14 thanks to an assist while once-scratched prospect Ryan Johansen scored two goals.
Yup, it was a dreamy result for Scott Howson and Scott Arniel, but the caveat is that the Blue Jackets slipped by the mediocre Winnipeg Jets. Their next three games are against the hot Minnesota Wild, the red-hot Boston Bruins and the unforgiving Nashville Predators.
If Columbus manages to save face during that trio of games, then the future might just be a little brighter.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 10
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic