Nov 12, 2011, 11:58 PM EDT
It’s been a horrific month-plus for Steve Mason and the Columbus Blue Jackets, but for one night, things seemed OK.
Mason stopped 35 out of 36 shots in a 2-1 win. Jeff Carter came back and although he failed to register a point, the former Flyers center won 12 out of 19 draws. Vinny Prospal continues to quietly lead the team in points with 14 thanks to an assist while once-scratched prospect Ryan Johansen scored two goals.
Yup, it was a dreamy result for Scott Howson and Scott Arniel, but the caveat is that the Blue Jackets slipped by the mediocre Winnipeg Jets. Their next three games are against the hot Minnesota Wild, the red-hot Boston Bruins and the unforgiving Nashville Predators.
If Columbus manages to save face during that trio of games, then the future might just be a little brighter.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)