Nov 12, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Ryan Miller wasn’t willing to discuss the nature of his “upper-body injury” after tonight’s game against the Boston Bruins. The Buffalo News’ John Vogl reports that Miller stewed in the locker room so he could unleash this pointed (and Vogl-censored) critique of Milan Lucic, though:
“I just stuck around because I wanted to say what a piece of [feces] I think Lucic is,” Miller said. “Fifty pounds on me, and he runs me like that? It’s unbelievable. Everyone in this city sees him as a big, tough, solid player. I respected him for how hard he plays. That was gutless. Gutless. Piece of [feces].”
Wow, Miller hasn’t dished on someone like that since he trash-talked his way to victory in those goofy “Yo Momma” energy drink commercials.
It’s probably fair to say that Miller’s teammates didn’t do the talking* for him, though. The Sabres responded with anger on the initial hit, but didn’t really have the “personnel” to teach Lucic a lesson at that time. Paul Gastaud was one of the players on the ice during that immediate reaction and he told Vogl that he was “embarrassed that we didn’t respond the way we should have.”
Looking at the box score, Lucic didn’t have to answer for his actions during the rest of the game either; the only fight-like disturbance happened when Patrick Kaleta and Shawn Thornton were tossed from the contest with matching misconduct penalties.
Naturally, the beautiful/scary part of this situation is that the Sabres and Bruins are scheduled to meet each other five more times this season. In case you’re wondering, their next game is on Nov. 23, which might make for a Black Wednesday for Lucic.
* – In case you were wondering, “do the talking” means “beat the [feces] out of” …
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)