Nov 12, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Nick Johnson is just a guy living the dream in Minnesota now. He’s gone from being a waiver wire pickup in training camp after being cut by the Penguins to getting a shot to shine on the first line alongside Mikko Koivu and Dany Heatley in Minnesota.
Johnson getting the shot to play on the top line is thanks to Guillaume Latendresse going out with a concussion. Johnson’s gotten time on the Wild’s third and fourth lines this season and has provided some physical play and a little bit of scoring touch too. On the top line he’ll look to bring more of that physical edge than anything else. Koivu and Heatley can certainly provide enough offense.
It’s not likely going to be a permanent move for the Wild as coach Mike Yeo figures out how to juggle the lineup with Latendresse out of action, but for Johnson it makes for a heck of a fairy tale-like story to go from nearly being sent back to the AHL to being a top line guy. Let’s see if he can make the most of it now.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 2
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 95
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 47
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63