Nov 12, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Nick Johnson is just a guy living the dream in Minnesota now. He’s gone from being a waiver wire pickup in training camp after being cut by the Penguins to getting a shot to shine on the first line alongside Mikko Koivu and Dany Heatley in Minnesota.
Johnson getting the shot to play on the top line is thanks to Guillaume Latendresse going out with a concussion. Johnson’s gotten time on the Wild’s third and fourth lines this season and has provided some physical play and a little bit of scoring touch too. On the top line he’ll look to bring more of that physical edge than anything else. Koivu and Heatley can certainly provide enough offense.
It’s not likely going to be a permanent move for the Wild as coach Mike Yeo figures out how to juggle the lineup with Latendresse out of action, but for Johnson it makes for a heck of a fairy tale-like story to go from nearly being sent back to the AHL to being a top line guy. Let’s see if he can make the most of it now.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)