Nov 12, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
Nick Johnson is just a guy living the dream in Minnesota now. He’s gone from being a waiver wire pickup in training camp after being cut by the Penguins to getting a shot to shine on the first line alongside Mikko Koivu and Dany Heatley in Minnesota.
Johnson getting the shot to play on the top line is thanks to Guillaume Latendresse going out with a concussion. Johnson’s gotten time on the Wild’s third and fourth lines this season and has provided some physical play and a little bit of scoring touch too. On the top line he’ll look to bring more of that physical edge than anything else. Koivu and Heatley can certainly provide enough offense.
It’s not likely going to be a permanent move for the Wild as coach Mike Yeo figures out how to juggle the lineup with Latendresse out of action, but for Johnson it makes for a heck of a fairy tale-like story to go from nearly being sent back to the AHL to being a top line guy. Let’s see if he can make the most of it now.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 16
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)