Nov 12, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Goaltending hasn’t been a point of pride for the Blue Jackets this year. Steve Mason has been terrible, Mark Dekanich and Curtis Sanford have been injured, and Allen York is a year removed from college hockey. With Dekanich suffering a new injury last night in his first game back during an AHL tuneup, the Jackets are finally going to pursue more legitimate help in goal.
GM Scott Howson said today that the team will be pursuing an experienced backup goaltender and Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that Islanders goalie Evgeni Nabokov is on their wish list.
It was just two nights ago that the rumor of a Nabokov-to-Columbus deal had broken that involved sending Fedor Tyutin to the Islanders as part of the deal. The rumor got along far enough that the Islanders’ broadcast crew even spoke about it on the air.
The catch with pursuing Nabokov is that he’s got a no-trade clause in his contract. Would he accept being dealt to a team that’s even more hapless than the Islanders are just to get more playing time? That’s a tough debate for him but you’d have to think that consistent playing time would trump all. Besides, he’d have a great chance to supplant Mason as the starter if given the opportunity.
If Nabokov isn’t the guy for them they could also call Florida about Scott Clemmensen or even pursue free agent Marty Turco. Turco has spending his time of late working on the NHL Network. No matter what their move is, it’s the right move for Columbus to seek out better goaltending because they need it desperately.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination