Nov 12, 2011, 10:20 PM EDT
After playing some great hockey in mainstream obscurity, the Dallas Stars went into Friday’s conference clash as the hottest team in the Western Conference. The Stars lost that game against the Pittsburgh Penguins and dropped another to Detroit tonight, which might crown the Red Wings as the hot team du jour in the West.
In the simplest terms possible, it seems almost undeniable; as of this writing, the Red Wings have won four games in a row while no other West team has a streak of more than two victories. They’ve also been beating the tar out of their opponents in the process. In the last four games, Detroit out-scored their opponents 18-4 and Jimmy Howard earned two shutouts.
A simple reason why the hot streak might go cold
My bet is that some columnist somewhere will critique the Red Wings’ collective age when looking at their interestingly hot-and-cold season. (Detroit won five in a row, lost six consecutive games and now they’re on their four-game streak.)
A mere look at their schedule should provide an adequate explanation – and maybe a glimpse of their immediate future. After playing six straight games at Joe Louis Arena, the Red Wings will begin a four-game road trip on Tuesday that includes a game against the St. Louis Blues and then a trio of games against California teams.
With that schedule in mind, you shouldn’t be too be surprised to see a panicked column or two about the Red Wings in the next week or so.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks