Nov 12, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
When Alex Goligoski left last night’s game against Pittsburgh after blocking a shot, Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan thought it might put him out for a while. Turns out his worst fears were correct because Goligoski will be out for four weeks with a broken thumb.
Going without Goligoski will test out the Stars’ ability to generate offense from the blue line. Taking his spot in the lineup will be youngster Philip Larsen. No pressure there for Larsen having to take the spot of a guy who is perhaps Dallas’ best puck-moving defenseman and power play guru.
Dallas has gotten great production from Goligoski and Sheldon Souray but having to go without half that pair will push the Stars to see just how deep they are and if their early season success can be sustained. While the scoring from the blue line might be slowed down, Loui Eriksson and Jamie Benn will need to keep things rolling.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 1
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 11
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33