Nov 11, 2011, 10:26 PM EDT
The Rangers entered Friday night’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes looking for their sixth straight win. All it took was a Sean Avery highlight reel goal (and highlight-worthy fist pump), Brandon Dubinsky’s first goal of the season, and a four goal outburst in the final period to increase New York’s streak to a half dozen games in style. By the time the dust settled, the Rangers had pounded the Hurricanes by a 5-1 score.
This just in: the Rangers are a pretty good team when they can score a few goals.
The game featured the fans in the blue sets showering Canes captain Eric Staal with boos every time he touched the puck throughout the game. The Rangers faithful haven’t forgotten Staal’s hit on brother Marc last season that has lead to a lingering concussion that the Rangers’ defenseman is still struggling to shake off. But it wasn’t just booing from the fans that doomed the Canes.
Ever since blowing a three goal lead to the Senators two weeks ago, the Rangers forwards have been attacking waves for the full 60 minutes. The win means the New York has earned points in their last seven games; improving their record to record to 9-3-3. They’re sitting in 4th place in the Eastern Conference and they trail only the Penguins in the Atlantic Division. Not too bad considering they were winless in their first three games of the season.
The Rangers now enjoy a weekend vacation before traveling down the Long Island railroad for a grueling trip to Nassau Coliseum to face the Islanders on Tuesday. The rest of the Eastern Conference should rejoice: it’ll be impossible for the Rangers to win again until at least next week.
A break in the schedule might be the only way to slow them down right now.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)