Nov 11, 2011, 10:26 PM EST
The Rangers entered Friday night’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes looking for their sixth straight win. All it took was a Sean Avery highlight reel goal (and highlight-worthy fist pump), Brandon Dubinsky’s first goal of the season, and a four goal outburst in the final period to increase New York’s streak to a half dozen games in style. By the time the dust settled, the Rangers had pounded the Hurricanes by a 5-1 score.
This just in: the Rangers are a pretty good team when they can score a few goals.
The game featured the fans in the blue sets showering Canes captain Eric Staal with boos every time he touched the puck throughout the game. The Rangers faithful haven’t forgotten Staal’s hit on brother Marc last season that has lead to a lingering concussion that the Rangers’ defenseman is still struggling to shake off. But it wasn’t just booing from the fans that doomed the Canes.
Ever since blowing a three goal lead to the Senators two weeks ago, the Rangers forwards have been attacking waves for the full 60 minutes. The win means the New York has earned points in their last seven games; improving their record to record to 9-3-3. They’re sitting in 4th place in the Eastern Conference and they trail only the Penguins in the Atlantic Division. Not too bad considering they were winless in their first three games of the season.
The Rangers now enjoy a weekend vacation before traveling down the Long Island railroad for a grueling trip to Nassau Coliseum to face the Islanders on Tuesday. The rest of the Eastern Conference should rejoice: it’ll be impossible for the Rangers to win again until at least next week.
A break in the schedule might be the only way to slow them down right now.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)