Nov 11, 2011, 10:46 AM EDT
When teams make trades, they’re always trying to improve their own team. Sometimes they’re trying to pull one over on their trade partner. In the case of the Stars and Penguins, who battle tonight in Pittsburgh, they managed to pull off the ever mystical “traded that worked out for both sides.”
When Dallas traded James Neal to Pittsburgh for Alex Goligoski it was instantly viewed to be an instant win for the Penguins. After all, Neal is a young forward with a penchant for scoring goals in bunches. Goligoski was seen to be a good offensive defenseman but a defensive liability for a Pens team deep on the blue line. While Goligoski was an instant success in Dallas, Neal slumped most of last season unable to provide a needed scoring punch.
Neal is one of the NHL leaders in goals scored and for a team without Sidney Crosby, and at times Evgeni Malkin, getting Neal to live up to his billing when he came in is huge. Goligoski, meanwhile, is helping a Stars blue line produce offense like crazy and helping the Stars stun hockey smart guys all over the place by continuing to win.
Trades don’t always work out for the best for both sides. In this situation though it’s done wonders for both teams in racing out to the lead this season.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)