Nov 11, 2011, 10:46 AM EST
When teams make trades, they’re always trying to improve their own team. Sometimes they’re trying to pull one over on their trade partner. In the case of the Stars and Penguins, who battle tonight in Pittsburgh, they managed to pull off the ever mystical “traded that worked out for both sides.”
When Dallas traded James Neal to Pittsburgh for Alex Goligoski it was instantly viewed to be an instant win for the Penguins. After all, Neal is a young forward with a penchant for scoring goals in bunches. Goligoski was seen to be a good offensive defenseman but a defensive liability for a Pens team deep on the blue line. While Goligoski was an instant success in Dallas, Neal slumped most of last season unable to provide a needed scoring punch.
Neal is one of the NHL leaders in goals scored and for a team without Sidney Crosby, and at times Evgeni Malkin, getting Neal to live up to his billing when he came in is huge. Goligoski, meanwhile, is helping a Stars blue line produce offense like crazy and helping the Stars stun hockey smart guys all over the place by continuing to win.
Trades don’t always work out for the best for both sides. In this situation though it’s done wonders for both teams in racing out to the lead this season.
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 0
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 34
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 1
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)