Nov 11, 2011, 10:46 AM EST
When teams make trades, they’re always trying to improve their own team. Sometimes they’re trying to pull one over on their trade partner. In the case of the Stars and Penguins, who battle tonight in Pittsburgh, they managed to pull off the ever mystical “traded that worked out for both sides.”
When Dallas traded James Neal to Pittsburgh for Alex Goligoski it was instantly viewed to be an instant win for the Penguins. After all, Neal is a young forward with a penchant for scoring goals in bunches. Goligoski was seen to be a good offensive defenseman but a defensive liability for a Pens team deep on the blue line. While Goligoski was an instant success in Dallas, Neal slumped most of last season unable to provide a needed scoring punch.
Neal is one of the NHL leaders in goals scored and for a team without Sidney Crosby, and at times Evgeni Malkin, getting Neal to live up to his billing when he came in is huge. Goligoski, meanwhile, is helping a Stars blue line produce offense like crazy and helping the Stars stun hockey smart guys all over the place by continuing to win.
Trades don’t always work out for the best for both sides. In this situation though it’s done wonders for both teams in racing out to the lead this season.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)