Nov 11, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Sen. John McCain spoke with the media yesterday in Glendale and had some harsh words for the Goldwater Institute, the taxpayer watchdog group that scuttled Matthew Hulsizer’s purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes.
“Not to get into details, but when an organization like the Goldwater Institute, elected by nobody, representing nobody except maybe some very wealthy donors, makes a decision like they did and it’s harmful to the economy of state of Arizona, then I do weigh in,” he said.
“I’ve never seen such arrogance and frankly, Barry Goldwater would want them to change their name because Barry Goldwater believed in the responsibility with the elected representatives of the people, not an unelected group of fat cats like who’s at the Goldwater Institute.”
Never fails to amuse when politicians use the phrase “fat cats.” I always picture a bunch of cats wearing three-piece suits, smoking cigars and sipping brandy in leather chairs.
Anyway, McCain dropped the ceremonial puck before the Phoenix-Montreal game at Jobing.com Arena, where fans received a McCain bobblehead doll as part of “Military Heroes Night.”
In addition to ripping the Goldwater Institute, McCain also admitted time was running out on the league-owned Coyotes in Glendale.
“I don’t know (how long the sale process can continue), but the National Hockey League is not going to keep this franchise going forever,” he said. “That’s not their job. Their job is to oversee the NHL, not spend money on it. So I do have a certain sense of urgency.”
If there’s no new owner in place by the end of the season, it’s hard to picture a team in Arizona for 2012-13.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)