Nov 11, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Sen. John McCain spoke with the media yesterday in Glendale and had some harsh words for the Goldwater Institute, the taxpayer watchdog group that scuttled Matthew Hulsizer’s purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes.
“Not to get into details, but when an organization like the Goldwater Institute, elected by nobody, representing nobody except maybe some very wealthy donors, makes a decision like they did and it’s harmful to the economy of state of Arizona, then I do weigh in,” he said.
“I’ve never seen such arrogance and frankly, Barry Goldwater would want them to change their name because Barry Goldwater believed in the responsibility with the elected representatives of the people, not an unelected group of fat cats like who’s at the Goldwater Institute.”
Never fails to amuse when politicians use the phrase “fat cats.” I always picture a bunch of cats wearing three-piece suits, smoking cigars and sipping brandy in leather chairs.
Anyway, McCain dropped the ceremonial puck before the Phoenix-Montreal game at Jobing.com Arena, where fans received a McCain bobblehead doll as part of “Military Heroes Night.”
In addition to ripping the Goldwater Institute, McCain also admitted time was running out on the league-owned Coyotes in Glendale.
“I don’t know (how long the sale process can continue), but the National Hockey League is not going to keep this franchise going forever,” he said. “That’s not their job. Their job is to oversee the NHL, not spend money on it. So I do have a certain sense of urgency.”
If there’s no new owner in place by the end of the season, it’s hard to picture a team in Arizona for 2012-13.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming