Nov 11, 2011, 1:19 PM EST
Sen. John McCain spoke with the media yesterday in Glendale and had some harsh words for the Goldwater Institute, the taxpayer watchdog group that scuttled Matthew Hulsizer’s purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes.
“Not to get into details, but when an organization like the Goldwater Institute, elected by nobody, representing nobody except maybe some very wealthy donors, makes a decision like they did and it’s harmful to the economy of state of Arizona, then I do weigh in,” he said.
“I’ve never seen such arrogance and frankly, Barry Goldwater would want them to change their name because Barry Goldwater believed in the responsibility with the elected representatives of the people, not an unelected group of fat cats like who’s at the Goldwater Institute.”
Never fails to amuse when politicians use the phrase “fat cats.” I always picture a bunch of cats wearing three-piece suits, smoking cigars and sipping brandy in leather chairs.
Anyway, McCain dropped the ceremonial puck before the Phoenix-Montreal game at Jobing.com Arena, where fans received a McCain bobblehead doll as part of “Military Heroes Night.”
In addition to ripping the Goldwater Institute, McCain also admitted time was running out on the league-owned Coyotes in Glendale.
“I don’t know (how long the sale process can continue), but the National Hockey League is not going to keep this franchise going forever,” he said. “That’s not their job. Their job is to oversee the NHL, not spend money on it. So I do have a certain sense of urgency.”
If there’s no new owner in place by the end of the season, it’s hard to picture a team in Arizona for 2012-13.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)