Nov 11, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
It should be a scholarly affair tonight when the Rangers host the ‘Canes at MSG.
New York coach Dr. John Tortorella (who diagnosed Mike Rupp’s torn meniscus as as “cranky knee'”) will match wits with Carolina coach Dr. Paul Maurice, a leader in the field of neurological research.
That’s a rather interesting take. See, Marc has spoken publicly about Eric delivering the hit that concussed him. So to has Eric. “It’s tough for him, it’s tough for me and it’s tough for everybody in the family,” he told NHL.com. “They feel for Marc and they feel for me, being put in that spot.”
The rest of the Staals have weighed in as well. The family patriarch, Henry, said last month that “it wasn’t good” to see Marc get hit. Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan said last month that “I feel bad for both my brothers.”
Tortorella confirmed Marc suffered a concussion on the play. The only reason the Rangers didn’t disclose it immediately was to protect him, a move which came under some scrutiny after Marc returned to the lineup three games later. (He also played the remainder of the season and playoffs, which could’ve partly fueled Maurice’s comments.)
Heck, even Maurice has spoken about the hit on previous occasions. He told NHL.com he thought it was clean, but the result was bad. The big difference, though, between Maurice’s past statement and his current stance is that he never previously suggested the Staal-on-Staal hit didn’t cause the concussion.
It’s an odd stance to take. Especially when you watch the hit again…
…and wonder just what Maurice is trying to accomplish with these comments. Does he really believe Eric’s hit didn’t give Marc a concussion? Or is he trying to take the pressure off his captain, mired in an absolutely awful slump?
Whatever the case, I’m guessing Maurice will regret saying what he did. Concussions in hockey is already controversial subject — one that certainly doesn’t need coaches weighing in with their (highly unqualified) diagnoses.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)