Nov 11, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Hands up if you’d heard the name Glen Gulutzan a month ago.
Check that. Hands up if you’d heard the name Glen Gulutzan before you read that sentence.
Gulutzan, if your hand is down, is the new head coach of the Dallas Stars. He was hired in June to replace Marc Crawford.
The Star-Telegram’s Mac Engel spoke with the first-year bench boss about the team’s 11-3-0 start that has it sitting first overall in the NHL.
Gulutzan is quick to give all the credit to the players.
“I don’t think it’s me,” he said. “It’s the players that we brought in; there really is a lot of character. I think it’s the perfect storm. New younger players, seven of them, that want to make an impression. There is no better way to do that than on the ice. The older guys who have been here, this is a little new so it’s exciting. I really think, though, that this is a team with good characters of people who really want to win.”
Gulutzan also has high praise for Jamie Benn, the big winger who leads the Stars with 18 points in 14 games.
“He’s 22 and he’s so tough, and he plays both ways,” said Gulutzan. “I know people want the team to go out and get big names, but he’s that guy. We have one of those guys right here.”
The Stars continue their four-game trip in Pittsburgh tonight. They’ve already beaten Carolina and Washington. Tomorrow they’re in Detroit to play the Red Wings.
Tough trip. But so far, so good.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 33
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 28
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22