Nov 11, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Hands up if you’d heard the name Glen Gulutzan a month ago.
Check that. Hands up if you’d heard the name Glen Gulutzan before you read that sentence.
Gulutzan, if your hand is down, is the new head coach of the Dallas Stars. He was hired in June to replace Marc Crawford.
The Star-Telegram’s Mac Engel spoke with the first-year bench boss about the team’s 11-3-0 start that has it sitting first overall in the NHL.
Gulutzan is quick to give all the credit to the players.
“I don’t think it’s me,” he said. “It’s the players that we brought in; there really is a lot of character. I think it’s the perfect storm. New younger players, seven of them, that want to make an impression. There is no better way to do that than on the ice. The older guys who have been here, this is a little new so it’s exciting. I really think, though, that this is a team with good characters of people who really want to win.”
Gulutzan also has high praise for Jamie Benn, the big winger who leads the Stars with 18 points in 14 games.
“He’s 22 and he’s so tough, and he plays both ways,” said Gulutzan. “I know people want the team to go out and get big names, but he’s that guy. We have one of those guys right here.”
The Stars continue their four-game trip in Pittsburgh tonight. They’ve already beaten Carolina and Washington. Tomorrow they’re in Detroit to play the Red Wings.
Tough trip. But so far, so good.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)