Nov 11, 2011, 9:19 PM EDT
Tonight was supposed to be the first game back for Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green as he recovered from an injured right ankle. While he started his first game in almost three weeks, he was unable to make it through the entire 60 minutes before heading back to the locker room with a limp. CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley says the injury may have occurred in the first period when Devils forward Ryan Carter checked the Caps defender into the boards and kicked his right leg when skating away.
(Check out the picture for visual evidence.)
Head coach Bruce Boudreau didn’t exactly ease Green back into the lineup either. After leaving near the near the end of the first period (and giving it a go at the beginning of the second), Green racked up almost eight minutes of ice time while he was available. Green looked like we was going to recover when he started the second with a shift on the power play. Unfortunately, he stayed on the bench for a few minutes after his shift before heading back to the locker room.
As usual, Green has been productive for the Caps when he’s been on the ice. The problem is that he hasn’t been on the ice all that much this season. Over the five weeks, Green has only played in seven games this season. The six points in seven games are impressive—but the Caps could use him around more than half of their games.
We’ll keep an eye on Green’s injury as new details emerge. We’ll let you know how serious the setback is for Green and if he’ll be available in the second game of the back-to-back against the Devils in Washington tomorrow night.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car