Nov 11, 2011, 12:56 PM EST
Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth have been having the awkward dance of having Lindy Ruff decide who gets the start on a game-to-game basis. Any other season it would be virtually automatic that Miller would get the start, but this season has seen Miller have a rough start and Enroth has thrived when given the chance.
With a funky stretch of games coming up, Ruff’s rotation appears to based on statistics in how his goalies have matched up in the past against their opponents. Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News breaks down how the Sabres’ rotation plays out this weekend with Enroth getting the start against Ottawa tonight while Miller goes in Boston tomorrow.
While Enroth doesn’t have the extensive history Miller does against these teams, Miller has been bad in his career against Ottawa while Enroth in just a few starts has been lights out. Perhaps Miller is just stuck with flashbacks to the 2007 Eastern Conference finals that saw the Sens roll the Sabres in five games.
For now, Miller will just need to dominate in the starts he does make so he can go back to being the absolute #1 guy. While it’s a great luxury for Buffalo to have Enroth playing so well, Miller going through the motions won’t help the Sabres be a Cup contender.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)