Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild announced today that Guillaume Latendresse will be out of the lineup indefinitely while recovering from a concussion. Unfortunately, Latendresse is unsure when he suffered the concussion. He took a big hit from Douglas Murray in the game against the Sharks last night—but Star Tribune writer Mike Russo notes that Latendresse was went face first into the glass earlier this week after a hit by Calgary’s Mark Giordano. Whether he suffered the concussion against the Sharks or the Flames, he’s going to be on the shelf while he tries to recover.
Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo acknowledged the uncertainty surrounding the entire situation when he talked to Russo this afternoon. “You hear that word [concussion], you don’t expect to have them back in a day or two anymore, that’s for sure,” the Wild head coach said. Proper protocol would say that Latendresse will be out a minimum of a week while Minnesota’s training staff monitors his baseline numbers.
Every hockey fan understands that a concussion can mean a long-term injury these days. There’s no way of telling if the clouds in Latendresse’s head will clear in three days, three weeks, or three months. Or worse. Yeo understands that all the team (and player) can do is rest and hope for the best.
On the ice, the timing couldn’t come at a worse time for the Wild. They’re the second worst scoring team in the league and they just lost their streaking top-line winger. Latendresse has improved his two-way play this season and is predictably among the team’s leader in goals and points.
What’s this team for the team in the short term? Cal Clutterbuck is slated to play on the top line on Saturday night in Los Angeles. Yeah, get well soon Guillaume.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)