Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild announced today that Guillaume Latendresse will be out of the lineup indefinitely while recovering from a concussion. Unfortunately, Latendresse is unsure when he suffered the concussion. He took a big hit from Douglas Murray in the game against the Sharks last night—but Star Tribune writer Mike Russo notes that Latendresse was went face first into the glass earlier this week after a hit by Calgary’s Mark Giordano. Whether he suffered the concussion against the Sharks or the Flames, he’s going to be on the shelf while he tries to recover.
Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo acknowledged the uncertainty surrounding the entire situation when he talked to Russo this afternoon. “You hear that word [concussion], you don’t expect to have them back in a day or two anymore, that’s for sure,” the Wild head coach said. Proper protocol would say that Latendresse will be out a minimum of a week while Minnesota’s training staff monitors his baseline numbers.
Every hockey fan understands that a concussion can mean a long-term injury these days. There’s no way of telling if the clouds in Latendresse’s head will clear in three days, three weeks, or three months. Or worse. Yeo understands that all the team (and player) can do is rest and hope for the best.
On the ice, the timing couldn’t come at a worse time for the Wild. They’re the second worst scoring team in the league and they just lost their streaking top-line winger. Latendresse has improved his two-way play this season and is predictably among the team’s leader in goals and points.
What’s this team for the team in the short term? Cal Clutterbuck is slated to play on the top line on Saturday night in Los Angeles. Yeah, get well soon Guillaume.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)