Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild announced today that Guillaume Latendresse will be out of the lineup indefinitely while recovering from a concussion. Unfortunately, Latendresse is unsure when he suffered the concussion. He took a big hit from Douglas Murray in the game against the Sharks last night—but Star Tribune writer Mike Russo notes that Latendresse was went face first into the glass earlier this week after a hit by Calgary’s Mark Giordano. Whether he suffered the concussion against the Sharks or the Flames, he’s going to be on the shelf while he tries to recover.
Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo acknowledged the uncertainty surrounding the entire situation when he talked to Russo this afternoon. “You hear that word [concussion], you don’t expect to have them back in a day or two anymore, that’s for sure,” the Wild head coach said. Proper protocol would say that Latendresse will be out a minimum of a week while Minnesota’s training staff monitors his baseline numbers.
Every hockey fan understands that a concussion can mean a long-term injury these days. There’s no way of telling if the clouds in Latendresse’s head will clear in three days, three weeks, or three months. Or worse. Yeo understands that all the team (and player) can do is rest and hope for the best.
On the ice, the timing couldn’t come at a worse time for the Wild. They’re the second worst scoring team in the league and they just lost their streaking top-line winger. Latendresse has improved his two-way play this season and is predictably among the team’s leader in goals and points.
What’s this team for the team in the short term? Cal Clutterbuck is slated to play on the top line on Saturday night in Los Angeles. Yeah, get well soon Guillaume.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 5
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15