Nov 11, 2011, 8:22 AM EST
Jarome Iginla is a man with simple needs. He likes his team to win games and earn two points. He also wants it so that if his team loses in overtime or a shootout that they don’t get any points as well.
Yes, Iginla wants to see the point teams “earn” by losing in the extra session to go away. His reasoning? Simple: He wants games to actually mean more to the teams as he tells Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun.
“It would be a little more stressful when you’re in a shootout but be more fun. You’d have more riding on each game,” Iginla said. “I’m sure I’m in a minority in that, but it would be exciting.
“Why I like sports so much is because it’s unpredictable and so much is riding on it. It would add more.”
The NHL loves the loser point because it tightens up playoff races and makes the end of the season potentially more exciting. Of course, the issue there is that games ending in regulation are worth two points while overtime/shootout affairs are ultimately worth three.
Where Iginla is right, however, is that it would make games more exciting and more cutthroat ultimately. It also might mean that teams take bigger risks in overtime so as to not lose out on two points in the soul-sucking skills competition that is the shootout. If only we could get Iginla to storm the NHL offices and make this magical dream of normalcy returning happen.
Of course, the NHL could just make regulation wins worth three points and help balance things out that way too. Having your cake and eating it too isn’t so bad either.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)