Nov 11, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
It was Alex Goligoski’s first game in Pittsburgh since he was dealt from the Penguins to Dallas last season. These are supposed to be happy homecomings, right? In Goligoski’s case, he’ll have to wait until next time for the happy homecoming. The Stars announced in the second period that their minute-eating defenseman had suffered an upper-body injury and will be out for the rest of the game.
The 11-3 Dallas Stars haven’t had much negative news this season, but losing Goligoski would be a big blow to the Western Conference leaders. The Stars are leaning on the defenseman to play big time minutes as a shutdown blueliner as well as an offensive defenseman this year.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, fellow defenseman Marc Fistric took a puck in the face/throat and was forced to leave the game as well. If Fistric is unable to return to the game, the Stars will be forced to play the rest of the game with only four defensemen.
We’ll keep you updated as more details emerge about both injuries.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12