Nov 11, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
It was Alex Goligoski’s first game in Pittsburgh since he was dealt from the Penguins to Dallas last season. These are supposed to be happy homecomings, right? In Goligoski’s case, he’ll have to wait until next time for the happy homecoming. The Stars announced in the second period that their minute-eating defenseman had suffered an upper-body injury and will be out for the rest of the game.
The 11-3 Dallas Stars haven’t had much negative news this season, but losing Goligoski would be a big blow to the Western Conference leaders. The Stars are leaning on the defenseman to play big time minutes as a shutdown blueliner as well as an offensive defenseman this year.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, fellow defenseman Marc Fistric took a puck in the face/throat and was forced to leave the game as well. If Fistric is unable to return to the game, the Stars will be forced to play the rest of the game with only four defensemen.
We’ll keep you updated as more details emerge about both injuries.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)