Nov 11, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Hagman was a key part of the Dion Phaneuf trade, coming over from the Leafs along with Jamal Mayers (no longer with the club), Ian White (no longer with the club), and Matt Stajan (awful contract, can’t get rid of him).
So that worked out well for the Flames.
Hagman, 31, is in the final year of a contract with a cap hit of $3 million. He only appeared in eight games for Calgary, scoring once and adding three assists.
Flames GM Jay Feaster gets some additional cap space out of the move, which will lead to speculation a trade is on the horizon. I suppose it’s possible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Hagman still has to be paid his full NHL salary, something ownership can’t be thrilled with.
This is probably more about cutting ties with a player that has no future with the club while allowing his roster spot to be filled with someone that does.
In this case, that someone is Mikael Backlund, who will make his season debut with the Flames tonight in Chicago. Backlund missed the first 14 games with a broken pinky finger.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)