Nov 11, 2011, 2:01 PM EST
Hagman was a key part of the Dion Phaneuf trade, coming over from the Leafs along with Jamal Mayers (no longer with the club), Ian White (no longer with the club), and Matt Stajan (awful contract, can’t get rid of him).
So that worked out well for the Flames.
Hagman, 31, is in the final year of a contract with a cap hit of $3 million. He only appeared in eight games for Calgary, scoring once and adding three assists.
Flames GM Jay Feaster gets some additional cap space out of the move, which will lead to speculation a trade is on the horizon. I suppose it’s possible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Hagman still has to be paid his full NHL salary, something ownership can’t be thrilled with.
This is probably more about cutting ties with a player that has no future with the club while allowing his roster spot to be filled with someone that does.
In this case, that someone is Mikael Backlund, who will make his season debut with the Flames tonight in Chicago. Backlund missed the first 14 games with a broken pinky finger.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)