Nov 11, 2011, 2:01 PM EST
Hagman was a key part of the Dion Phaneuf trade, coming over from the Leafs along with Jamal Mayers (no longer with the club), Ian White (no longer with the club), and Matt Stajan (awful contract, can’t get rid of him).
So that worked out well for the Flames.
Hagman, 31, is in the final year of a contract with a cap hit of $3 million. He only appeared in eight games for Calgary, scoring once and adding three assists.
Flames GM Jay Feaster gets some additional cap space out of the move, which will lead to speculation a trade is on the horizon. I suppose it’s possible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Hagman still has to be paid his full NHL salary, something ownership can’t be thrilled with.
This is probably more about cutting ties with a player that has no future with the club while allowing his roster spot to be filled with someone that does.
In this case, that someone is Mikael Backlund, who will make his season debut with the Flames tonight in Chicago. Backlund missed the first 14 games with a broken pinky finger.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)