Nov 11, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
Interesting development out of New York with regards to Wayne Gretzky’s potential participation in the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic alumni game. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that after initially saying he wouldn’t take part (due to family holiday plans and that “no one wanted to watch a 50-year-old on skates”), Gretzky was contacted by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
“Glen called and we talked for 45 minutes,” Gretzky told LeBrun. “I really respect the Rangers doing that. That’s classy of Slats [Sather], Mike Keenan [who is coaching the Rangers' alumni team] and the Dolan family. So I told Glen I would think about it.”
Gretzky spent the final three years of his career with the Rangers and while his effect on the club was minimal compared to Edmonton and Los Angeles, it was still
more than St. Louis noteworthy. With New York, he led the league in assists twice and registered 20 points in 15 playoff games.
Given the star-studded lineup the Flyers alumni are set to roll out on Jan. 2 — Bobby Clarke, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach and Marc Recchi, to name a few — having Gretzky with the Rangers would be epic.
If the Rangers alumni can’t get Gretz, Marek Malik would be a solid consolation prize. Just saying.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 130
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)