Nov 11, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Interesting development out of New York with regards to Wayne Gretzky’s potential participation in the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic alumni game. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that after initially saying he wouldn’t take part (due to family holiday plans and that “no one wanted to watch a 50-year-old on skates”), Gretzky was contacted by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
“Glen called and we talked for 45 minutes,” Gretzky told LeBrun. “I really respect the Rangers doing that. That’s classy of Slats [Sather], Mike Keenan [who is coaching the Rangers' alumni team] and the Dolan family. So I told Glen I would think about it.”
Gretzky spent the final three years of his career with the Rangers and while his effect on the club was minimal compared to Edmonton and Los Angeles, it was still
more than St. Louis noteworthy. With New York, he led the league in assists twice and registered 20 points in 15 playoff games.
Given the star-studded lineup the Flyers alumni are set to roll out on Jan. 2 — Bobby Clarke, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach and Marc Recchi, to name a few — having Gretzky with the Rangers would be epic.
If the Rangers alumni can’t get Gretz, Marek Malik would be a solid consolation prize. Just saying.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)