Nov 11, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Interesting development out of New York with regards to Wayne Gretzky’s potential participation in the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic alumni game. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that after initially saying he wouldn’t take part (due to family holiday plans and that “no one wanted to watch a 50-year-old on skates”), Gretzky was contacted by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
“Glen called and we talked for 45 minutes,” Gretzky told LeBrun. “I really respect the Rangers doing that. That’s classy of Slats [Sather], Mike Keenan [who is coaching the Rangers’ alumni team] and the Dolan family. So I told Glen I would think about it.”
Gretzky spent the final three years of his career with the Rangers and while his effect on the club was minimal compared to Edmonton and Los Angeles, it was still
more than St. Louis noteworthy. With New York, he led the league in assists twice and registered 20 points in 15 playoff games.
Given the star-studded lineup the Flyers alumni are set to roll out on Jan. 2 — Bobby Clarke, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach and Marc Recchi, to name a few — having Gretzky with the Rangers would be epic.
If the Rangers alumni can’t get Gretz, Marek Malik would be a solid consolation prize. Just saying.
- BREAKING: End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 0
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 14
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 6
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 40
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)