Nov 11, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
Interesting development out of New York with regards to Wayne Gretzky’s potential participation in the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic alumni game. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that after initially saying he wouldn’t take part (due to family holiday plans and that “no one wanted to watch a 50-year-old on skates”), Gretzky was contacted by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
“Glen called and we talked for 45 minutes,” Gretzky told LeBrun. “I really respect the Rangers doing that. That’s classy of Slats [Sather], Mike Keenan [who is coaching the Rangers’ alumni team] and the Dolan family. So I told Glen I would think about it.”
Gretzky spent the final three years of his career with the Rangers and while his effect on the club was minimal compared to Edmonton and Los Angeles, it was still
more than St. Louis noteworthy. With New York, he led the league in assists twice and registered 20 points in 15 playoff games.
Given the star-studded lineup the Flyers alumni are set to roll out on Jan. 2 — Bobby Clarke, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach and Marc Recchi, to name a few — having Gretzky with the Rangers would be epic.
If the Rangers alumni can’t get Gretz, Marek Malik would be a solid consolation prize. Just saying.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 3
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)