Nov 11, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Interesting development out of New York with regards to Wayne Gretzky’s potential participation in the 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic alumni game. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun notes that after initially saying he wouldn’t take part (due to family holiday plans and that “no one wanted to watch a 50-year-old on skates”), Gretzky was contacted by Rangers GM Glen Sather.
“Glen called and we talked for 45 minutes,” Gretzky told LeBrun. “I really respect the Rangers doing that. That’s classy of Slats [Sather], Mike Keenan [who is coaching the Rangers’ alumni team] and the Dolan family. So I told Glen I would think about it.”
Gretzky spent the final three years of his career with the Rangers and while his effect on the club was minimal compared to Edmonton and Los Angeles, it was still
more than St. Louis noteworthy. With New York, he led the league in assists twice and registered 20 points in 15 playoff games.
Given the star-studded lineup the Flyers alumni are set to roll out on Jan. 2 — Bobby Clarke, John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Bill Barber, Reggie Leach and Marc Recchi, to name a few — having Gretzky with the Rangers would be epic.
If the Rangers alumni can’t get Gretz, Marek Malik would be a solid consolation prize. Just saying.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)