Nov 10, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reveals that Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson and Russian Federation president Vladislav Tretiak will hold a meeting to discuss “future events” on Monday, Nov. 14. Forgive me for rolling out my “Jump to conclusions” mat, but I cannot help but wonder if this means that there could be a game/series to honor the 40th anniversary of the 1972 Summit Series.
(If they want to be technical about it, the series would probably need to take place sometime in September 2012.)
For whatever reason, that historic span of games is on the tip of our tongues on this day. This comes just hours after it was revealed that NHL Original Productions will share a documentary on the 1972 Summit Series, which was a watershed moment for the Canadian-Russian hockey rivalry. (Not to mention national hero Paul Henderson, who is in this post’s main image.)
Again, that’s pure – if moderately educated – speculation on my part, so we’ll let you know if any details emerge in the next few days and beyond. In the mean time, feel free to daydream about which players might make their way on each roster.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21