Nov 10, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reveals that Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson and Russian Federation president Vladislav Tretiak will hold a meeting to discuss “future events” on Monday, Nov. 14. Forgive me for rolling out my “Jump to conclusions” mat, but I cannot help but wonder if this means that there could be a game/series to honor the 40th anniversary of the 1972 Summit Series.
(If they want to be technical about it, the series would probably need to take place sometime in September 2012.)
For whatever reason, that historic span of games is on the tip of our tongues on this day. This comes just hours after it was revealed that NHL Original Productions will share a documentary on the 1972 Summit Series, which was a watershed moment for the Canadian-Russian hockey rivalry. (Not to mention national hero Paul Henderson, who is in this post’s main image.)
Again, that’s pure – if moderately educated – speculation on my part, so we’ll let you know if any details emerge in the next few days and beyond. In the mean time, feel free to daydream about which players might make their way on each roster.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5