Nov 10, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars could have a new owner as soon as next week.
Next Friday (Nov. 18), a Delaware bankruptcy is scheduled to hold a hearing to approve the sale of the club to Vancouver businessman Tom Galgardi.
If the sale is approved, the NHL Board of Governors will also have to give it the thumbs up. The board doesn’t meet until December, but there’s talk the vote could be held remotely.
If everything goes as planned – and there’s no reason to think it won’t – it will close a tough chapter in the franchise’s history that saw the team miss the playoffs the past three seasons while payroll was slashed and attendance plummeted.
The Stars currently sit first overall in the NHL with an 11-3-0 record. Combine a good team, stable ownership, and an NBA lockout, and the Stars are in great position to regain a respectable foothold in the Dallas sports market.
Update: According to the Dallas Morning News, the Stars are “studying a tentative press conference to introduce Gaglardi on Nov. 21 if everything works out.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)