Nov 10, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars could have a new owner as soon as next week.
Next Friday (Nov. 18), a Delaware bankruptcy is scheduled to hold a hearing to approve the sale of the club to Vancouver businessman Tom Galgardi.
If the sale is approved, the NHL Board of Governors will also have to give it the thumbs up. The board doesn’t meet until December, but there’s talk the vote could be held remotely.
If everything goes as planned – and there’s no reason to think it won’t – it will close a tough chapter in the franchise’s history that saw the team miss the playoffs the past three seasons while payroll was slashed and attendance plummeted.
The Stars currently sit first overall in the NHL with an 11-3-0 record. Combine a good team, stable ownership, and an NBA lockout, and the Stars are in great position to regain a respectable foothold in the Dallas sports market.
Update: According to the Dallas Morning News, the Stars are “studying a tentative press conference to introduce Gaglardi on Nov. 21 if everything works out.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)