Nov 10, 2011, 12:53 PM EST
The Dallas Stars could have a new owner as soon as next week.
Next Friday (Nov. 18), a Delaware bankruptcy is scheduled to hold a hearing to approve the sale of the club to Vancouver businessman Tom Galgardi.
If the sale is approved, the NHL Board of Governors will also have to give it the thumbs up. The board doesn’t meet until December, but there’s talk the vote could be held remotely.
If everything goes as planned – and there’s no reason to think it won’t – it will close a tough chapter in the franchise’s history that saw the team miss the playoffs the past three seasons while payroll was slashed and attendance plummeted.
The Stars currently sit first overall in the NHL with an 11-3-0 record. Combine a good team, stable ownership, and an NBA lockout, and the Stars are in great position to regain a respectable foothold in the Dallas sports market.
Update: According to the Dallas Morning News, the Stars are “studying a tentative press conference to introduce Gaglardi on Nov. 21 if everything works out.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)