Nov 10, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars could have a new owner as soon as next week.
Next Friday (Nov. 18), a Delaware bankruptcy is scheduled to hold a hearing to approve the sale of the club to Vancouver businessman Tom Galgardi.
If the sale is approved, the NHL Board of Governors will also have to give it the thumbs up. The board doesn’t meet until December, but there’s talk the vote could be held remotely.
If everything goes as planned – and there’s no reason to think it won’t – it will close a tough chapter in the franchise’s history that saw the team miss the playoffs the past three seasons while payroll was slashed and attendance plummeted.
The Stars currently sit first overall in the NHL with an 11-3-0 record. Combine a good team, stable ownership, and an NBA lockout, and the Stars are in great position to regain a respectable foothold in the Dallas sports market.
Update: According to the Dallas Morning News, the Stars are “studying a tentative press conference to introduce Gaglardi on Nov. 21 if everything works out.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)