Nov 10, 2011, 6:49 PM EST
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
Plus-11 – Tyler Seguin’s plus-minus, tied for tops in the NHL. Seguin’s been playing the wing on a line with Patrice Bergeron, one of the best two-way centers in hockey. While it’s always nice to have a responsible forward on your line, it also means you’re out there against the other team’s top lines, so you’d better not float. Bonus stat: Seguin has yet to finish a game as a minus. He should probably be on the all-star ballot.
16:37 – Average ice time for Ed Jovanovski. The veteran defenseman signed a four-year, $16.5-million contract with the Panthers over the summer. Now he’s skating on a third pairing with Keaton Ellerby. Jovanovski played just 14:59 in Florida’s last game, a 5-1 win over the Leafs. He probably shouldn’t be on the all-star ballot.
5.5% – Shooting percentage for Eric Staal. The Hurricanes’ forward is fifth among NHL forwards with 55 shots but has just three goals to show for it. Staal’s lifetime shooting percentage is 11.2 percent, so it’s possible he’s just snake-bitten. Staal practiced on a line with Alexei Ponikarovsky and Zach Boychuk today. Paul Maurice, going with the “scared straight” motivational tactic.
6-2-0 –Washington’s record when the other team opens the scoring. The Caps also led this category in 2010-11 (23-19-5). Not sure what to make of this. I still recommend scoring first in a game. I should be a coach.
0 – Brandon Dubinsky goals. This stat made the cut two weeks ago. Considering it hasn’t changed, I thought I’d mention it again. Dubinsky admits his goalless start has been “tough mentally.” No surprise there. I bet he looks up and sees Torts glaring at him from across the locker room all the time. Bet Torts doesn’t look away either. Just keeps glaring. That would be tough mentally.
- Video: Rangers’ Moore dangles, scores on beauty end-to-end rush 0
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 4
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36