Nov 10, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
Plus-11 – Tyler Seguin’s plus-minus, tied for tops in the NHL. Seguin’s been playing the wing on a line with Patrice Bergeron, one of the best two-way centers in hockey. While it’s always nice to have a responsible forward on your line, it also means you’re out there against the other team’s top lines, so you’d better not float. Bonus stat: Seguin has yet to finish a game as a minus. He should probably be on the all-star ballot.
16:37 – Average ice time for Ed Jovanovski. The veteran defenseman signed a four-year, $16.5-million contract with the Panthers over the summer. Now he’s skating on a third pairing with Keaton Ellerby. Jovanovski played just 14:59 in Florida’s last game, a 5-1 win over the Leafs. He probably shouldn’t be on the all-star ballot.
5.5% – Shooting percentage for Eric Staal. The Hurricanes’ forward is fifth among NHL forwards with 55 shots but has just three goals to show for it. Staal’s lifetime shooting percentage is 11.2 percent, so it’s possible he’s just snake-bitten. Staal practiced on a line with Alexei Ponikarovsky and Zach Boychuk today. Paul Maurice, going with the “scared straight” motivational tactic.
6-2-0 –Washington’s record when the other team opens the scoring. The Caps also led this category in 2010-11 (23-19-5). Not sure what to make of this. I still recommend scoring first in a game. I should be a coach.
0 – Brandon Dubinsky goals. This stat made the cut two weeks ago. Considering it hasn’t changed, I thought I’d mention it again. Dubinsky admits his goalless start has been “tough mentally.” No surprise there. I bet he looks up and sees Torts glaring at him from across the locker room all the time. Bet Torts doesn’t look away either. Just keeps glaring. That would be tough mentally.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)