Nov 10, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets fans had to be calling for blood on the heels of the team falling to a ridiculous 2-12-1 after an embarrassing loss to the Chicago Blackhawks tonight. It only makes sense, then, that (somehow still employed) GM Scott Howson … made another marginal trade.
In this case, the Blue Jackets sent offensive defenseman Kris Russell to the St. Louis Blues for hilariously named blueliner Nikita Nikitin. (If I ever have a child and name it Bryan O’Brien, I’ll have to buy him a Nikitin jersey.)
The Blue Jackets have “traded” with the Blue Jackets a couple times already if you count Ken Hitchcock’s surprising St. Louis hiring, but they don’t seem to be learning the lesson that the Blues should have imparted. That franchise sent a lightning bolt through their ranks with that coaching move while the Blue Jackets are trying to patch up the Titanic’s leaks with Band-Aids.
Want more abuse for this decision? Instead of being a lateral move, it might actually be a slight step back. Russell is a third-round pick from the 2005 NHL Entry Draft who has played in 12 games this season. Nikitin is a fifth-round pick from 2004 who only appeared in seven contests.
Here’s the only real silver lining, then: Howson isn’t making huge decisions while his career hangs on the line. People want big moves, but what if he made a blockbuster that saddles the franchise with another bad contract or inferior talent?
Who knows how long this sad little ordeal will go on, but one thing seems to be clear: it might just be a tragicomedy until the end.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)