Nov 10, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
Dustin Penner is the Charlie Brown of Los Angeles. In a city filled with sunshine, there’s always a rain cloud hanging over his head.
Case in point: Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times just tweeted a scoring change that took away one of Penner’s two assists in Tuesday’s 4-3 win over Nashville. Penner got the first assist on Simon Gagne‘s game-winning goal and was originally credited with the second assist on Mike Richard’s marker. But the Richards assist has since been awarded to Kings D Willie Mitchell — leaving Penner with one point on the night, not two.
And as Elliott notes: “[This] means Penner did not have first multi-point game as a King. Tonight will be his 33rd game with Kings.”
Granted, this a pretty small issue. Insignificant even. If you were to ask Penner about it, he’d likely reply with “We got the two points, so I’m okay with getting just one,” or some less-clever banality (mine was rather clever.) Players are supposed to give the impression they’re not concerned about individual statistics, even if they are.
But this isn’t so much about numbers — it’s about breaks, and how Penner can’t catch one. The good almost always involves some kind of bad.
I mean, consider what Kings GM Dean Lombari said about him earlier this week. He praised Penner for working hard, getting chances and making an effort…by saying this:
“Hey, you’ve just got to keep working through it. This is a guy who has done it before. We’ve got to find a way to get it out of him,” Lombardi told Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider. “The one thing, to his credit, he’s not in elite shape but he certainly made the effort to get in average shape.”
Nice compliment. Ivan Lendl thinks that was a solid backhand.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)