Nov 10, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Is Drew Doughty heating up? With a goal and two assists in his last two games, the Kings are hoping his early-season slump was just a blip on the way to a big year and a Hall of Fame career.
Los Angeles hosts Vancouver tonight with Doughty looking to build on his recent play.
“I’m getting my legs under me,” he said yesterday, as per the Vancouver Province. “I’m starting to play a few more minutes again. Once I’m playing a lot of minutes I’m into the game and I play my best.”
Doughty missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56-million contract. It’s a huge deal for a 21-year-old, and it comes with huge expectations — whether he’s affected by those expectations or not.
“That deal doesn’t bring any added pressure to me,” he said. “It’s in the past now and I’ve just got to forget about it.”
But it won’t be so easy to forget if he doesn’t live up to it. This is a big season for the Kings, who still haven’t been past the first round since 2001. The money has been spent by ownership. The “young team with no playoff experience” excuse has expired. It’s time to play like the contender they are on paper.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)