Nov 10, 2011, 12:25 PM EST
Is Drew Doughty heating up? With a goal and two assists in his last two games, the Kings are hoping his early-season slump was just a blip on the way to a big year and a Hall of Fame career.
Los Angeles hosts Vancouver tonight with Doughty looking to build on his recent play.
“I’m getting my legs under me,” he said yesterday, as per the Vancouver Province. “I’m starting to play a few more minutes again. Once I’m playing a lot of minutes I’m into the game and I play my best.”
Doughty missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56-million contract. It’s a huge deal for a 21-year-old, and it comes with huge expectations — whether he’s affected by those expectations or not.
“That deal doesn’t bring any added pressure to me,” he said. “It’s in the past now and I’ve just got to forget about it.”
But it won’t be so easy to forget if he doesn’t live up to it. This is a big season for the Kings, who still haven’t been past the first round since 2001. The money has been spent by ownership. The “young team with no playoff experience” excuse has expired. It’s time to play like the contender they are on paper.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)