Nov 10, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Is Drew Doughty heating up? With a goal and two assists in his last two games, the Kings are hoping his early-season slump was just a blip on the way to a big year and a Hall of Fame career.
Los Angeles hosts Vancouver tonight with Doughty looking to build on his recent play.
“I’m getting my legs under me,” he said yesterday, as per the Vancouver Province. “I’m starting to play a few more minutes again. Once I’m playing a lot of minutes I’m into the game and I play my best.”
Doughty missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56-million contract. It’s a huge deal for a 21-year-old, and it comes with huge expectations — whether he’s affected by those expectations or not.
“That deal doesn’t bring any added pressure to me,” he said. “It’s in the past now and I’ve just got to forget about it.”
But it won’t be so easy to forget if he doesn’t live up to it. This is a big season for the Kings, who still haven’t been past the first round since 2001. The money has been spent by ownership. The “young team with no playoff experience” excuse has expired. It’s time to play like the contender they are on paper.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)