Nov 10, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
Earlier this season, Devan Dubnyk (sort of) ruined a match between the first two picks of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft with his great play. He also (sort of) spoiled a battle of the top picks of 2010 tonight, but this time around, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t as pleased with the results.
It’s still fair to say that Tyler Seguin “beat” Taylor Hall tonight – and not just because the Boston Bruins notched a 6-3 win. Sure, Hall assisted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on a nice goal in the first period, but Seguin had two points in the second. Seguin earned the individual and team accolades for at least one game.
Dubnyk’s struggles are probably a bigger story to the Oilers, though. The over-sized goalie dropped to 2-4 on the season, with his last two appearances being the most troubling. He’s allowed nine goals in those two defeats, pushing his 2011-12 results below his numbers from last season (in a much smaller sample, of course).
Oilers fans might wave off those worries because Nikolai Khabibulin is still putting up amazing results, but at 38 years old, “The Bulin Wall” can only stand up to so much. It’s easy to fall in love with a matchup like Seguin vs. Hall – especially since it really extends to Seguin/Brad Marchand vs. Hall/RNH – but the Oilers will need more from their backup if they want to avoid being a fad on skates.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)