Nov 10, 2011, 10:45 PM EST
Earlier this season, Devan Dubnyk (sort of) ruined a match between the first two picks of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft with his great play. He also (sort of) spoiled a battle of the top picks of 2010 tonight, but this time around, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t as pleased with the results.
It’s still fair to say that Tyler Seguin “beat” Taylor Hall tonight – and not just because the Boston Bruins notched a 6-3 win. Sure, Hall assisted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on a nice goal in the first period, but Seguin had two points in the second. Seguin earned the individual and team accolades for at least one game.
Dubnyk’s struggles are probably a bigger story to the Oilers, though. The over-sized goalie dropped to 2-4 on the season, with his last two appearances being the most troubling. He’s allowed nine goals in those two defeats, pushing his 2011-12 results below his numbers from last season (in a much smaller sample, of course).
Oilers fans might wave off those worries because Nikolai Khabibulin is still putting up amazing results, but at 38 years old, “The Bulin Wall” can only stand up to so much. It’s easy to fall in love with a matchup like Seguin vs. Hall – especially since it really extends to Seguin/Brad Marchand vs. Hall/RNH – but the Oilers will need more from their backup if they want to avoid being a fad on skates.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)