Nov 10, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
Earlier this season, Devan Dubnyk (sort of) ruined a match between the first two picks of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft with his great play. He also (sort of) spoiled a battle of the top picks of 2010 tonight, but this time around, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t as pleased with the results.
It’s still fair to say that Tyler Seguin “beat” Taylor Hall tonight – and not just because the Boston Bruins notched a 6-3 win. Sure, Hall assisted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on a nice goal in the first period, but Seguin had two points in the second. Seguin earned the individual and team accolades for at least one game.
Dubnyk’s struggles are probably a bigger story to the Oilers, though. The over-sized goalie dropped to 2-4 on the season, with his last two appearances being the most troubling. He’s allowed nine goals in those two defeats, pushing his 2011-12 results below his numbers from last season (in a much smaller sample, of course).
Oilers fans might wave off those worries because Nikolai Khabibulin is still putting up amazing results, but at 38 years old, “The Bulin Wall” can only stand up to so much. It’s easy to fall in love with a matchup like Seguin vs. Hall – especially since it really extends to Seguin/Brad Marchand vs. Hall/RNH – but the Oilers will need more from their backup if they want to avoid being a fad on skates.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 25
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 27
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 83
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm