Nov 10, 2011, 8:53 PM EDT
To the shock of just about everyone, the Columbus Blue Jackets reacted to their awful 2-11-1 start by … acquiring depth forward Mark Letestu. Common sense’s loss appears to be the Chicago Blackhawks gain, though, as Chicago has a 5-1 lead heading into the third period.
If that wasn’t enough, the squalid ‘Hawks power play even got off the mat, as they’ve already scored two goals on three opportunities.
The fact that the Blackhawks went with a non-traditional mix on the PP – a tactic that allowed Steve Montador to pick up a Gordie Howe hat trick – pours some more salt in Columbus’ hockey wounds. (It also emboldens my personal belief that teams shouldn’t be so static when it comes to their special teams units, but that’s another discussion for another time.)
So what can the Blackhawks take from these results through the first 40 minutes? Maybe not a whole lot, as the Blue Jackets are floating in a sad, sad funk. Still, Chicago got that statistical monkey off their backs … and maybe learned that they can throw a few grinders out on the man advantage every now and then.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 2
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)