Nov 10, 2011, 8:53 PM EDT
To the shock of just about everyone, the Columbus Blue Jackets reacted to their awful 2-11-1 start by … acquiring depth forward Mark Letestu. Common sense’s loss appears to be the Chicago Blackhawks gain, though, as Chicago has a 5-1 lead heading into the third period.
If that wasn’t enough, the squalid ‘Hawks power play even got off the mat, as they’ve already scored two goals on three opportunities.
The fact that the Blackhawks went with a non-traditional mix on the PP – a tactic that allowed Steve Montador to pick up a Gordie Howe hat trick – pours some more salt in Columbus’ hockey wounds. (It also emboldens my personal belief that teams shouldn’t be so static when it comes to their special teams units, but that’s another discussion for another time.)
So what can the Blackhawks take from these results through the first 40 minutes? Maybe not a whole lot, as the Blue Jackets are floating in a sad, sad funk. Still, Chicago got that statistical monkey off their backs … and maybe learned that they can throw a few grinders out on the man advantage every now and then.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)