Nov 10, 2011, 11:50 PM EDT
Brian Burke and the Toronto Maple Leafs’ brass can put down their phones for at least one night. Ben Scrivens justified Ron Wilson’s gut decision to start him by stopping 38 shots in a 3-2 shootout win over the St. Louis Blues.
In the span of one game, Scrivens strengthened his chances of at least being the backup in Toronto and gave Ken Hitchcock his first defeat as the Blues’ bench boss.
It probably wasn’t designed this way, but it really was a great test for Scrivens, as the Maple Leafs seemingly sat back on a 2-0 lead. After out-shooting St. Louis 14-8 in the first period, the Blues fired 32 shots during the next two periods and overtime. Jason Arnott and Patrik Berglund were the only ones able to get a puck by Scrivens, who didn’t allow a single shootout score either.
Sure, it’s just one game, but this a promising sign for just about everyone in Toronto not named Jonas Gustavsson.
One could argue that it’s a promising sign for Hitchcock as well – his team clearly responded to something during the first intermission – but we’ll have to wait and see if that’s really the case.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (81)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness