Nov 9, 2011, 4:51 PM EST
Earlier this morning, Yerdon wrote about the beef between Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf and Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo (quick recap: Getzlaf accused Tootoo of diving, calling his antics “embarrassing.”)
Today, Preds head coach Barry Trotz got in the mix.
Upon learning Getzlaf told the OC Register the NHL “needs to get guys like [Tootoo] off the ice” and “you’ll never show a tape of me diving anywhere,” Trotz fired his own salvo.
“They have some guys who aren’t exactly lilywhite, some of their tough guys,” Trotz told the Nashville Tennessean. “You watch them behind the play when the ref’s not looking, they do a lot of (stuff). That’s just whining to me. Go on the ice, play and if you have a problem with someone, take care of it. Don’t go through the paper. That’s all.”
Ignoring the inherent irony of Trotz’s statements (he said not to fight battles in the newspaper…to a newspaper), let’s focus on this exciting new development in one of the NHL’s most underrated rivalries.
The Ducks and Preds have genuine dislike for one another. Actually, they kinda hate each other.
It stems back to last year’s playoff series when Nashville eliminated Anaheim in six games, a series that featured Jarkko Ruutu KOing Martin Erat, Bobby Ryan stomping on Jonathan Blum, Ducks GM Bob Murray saying the Preds were “diving left and right” and Getzlaf fighting Mike Fisher.
Apparently the offseason didn’t cool things off. The bad blood continued to boil when the two teams met in October, a 3-0 Nashville win in which Francois Beauchemin nailed Fisher:
Fisher missed time after the hit and Trotz made it clear he thought it deserved punishment (which never came). So clearly, there’s a lot of resentment on both sides. Anaheim thinks Nashville is cheap, Nashville thinks Anaheim is dirty and both seem willing to trade barbs through the media.
In conclusion, tonight’s game should be fun.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)