Nov 9, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
Earlier this morning, Yerdon wrote about the beef between Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf and Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo (quick recap: Getzlaf accused Tootoo of diving, calling his antics “embarrassing.”)
Today, Preds head coach Barry Trotz got in the mix.
Upon learning Getzlaf told the OC Register the NHL “needs to get guys like [Tootoo] off the ice” and “you’ll never show a tape of me diving anywhere,” Trotz fired his own salvo.
“They have some guys who aren’t exactly lilywhite, some of their tough guys,” Trotz told the Nashville Tennessean. “You watch them behind the play when the ref’s not looking, they do a lot of (stuff). That’s just whining to me. Go on the ice, play and if you have a problem with someone, take care of it. Don’t go through the paper. That’s all.”
Ignoring the inherent irony of Trotz’s statements (he said not to fight battles in the newspaper…to a newspaper), let’s focus on this exciting new development in one of the NHL’s most underrated rivalries.
The Ducks and Preds have genuine dislike for one another. Actually, they kinda hate each other.
It stems back to last year’s playoff series when Nashville eliminated Anaheim in six games, a series that featured Jarkko Ruutu KOing Martin Erat, Bobby Ryan stomping on Jonathan Blum, Ducks GM Bob Murray saying the Preds were “diving left and right” and Getzlaf fighting Mike Fisher.
Apparently the offseason didn’t cool things off. The bad blood continued to boil when the two teams met in October, a 3-0 Nashville win in which Francois Beauchemin nailed Fisher:
Fisher missed time after the hit and Trotz made it clear he thought it deserved punishment (which never came). So clearly, there’s a lot of resentment on both sides. Anaheim thinks Nashville is cheap, Nashville thinks Anaheim is dirty and both seem willing to trade barbs through the media.
In conclusion, tonight’s game should be fun.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 4
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming