Nov 9, 2011, 2:36 PM EDT
Is trouble brewing in Toronto?
That’s the question many were asking today as Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson declined to address reporters following practice. That Wilson chose today to bail was rather curious, as the Leafs are going through their first bit of adversity this season. They’ve lost three of five and been outscored 12-1 in consecutive losses to the Bruins and Panthers with goalies Ben Scrivens (seven goals on 21 shots) and Jonas Gustavsson (five goals on 27 shots) struggling mightly.
The goaltending issues came to a head last night as Wilson not-so-subtly threw both under the bus in the postgame presser.
Wilson: “We’ve gotta support our goalies better. It’s a rough time for them. We have to play better defensively, but sometimes that’s hard to do when you don’t give up any chances and the pucks’ in the net…and it’s not a scoring chance.”
Wilson: “Their goalie [Jose Theodore] made a number of big saves and unfortunately we didn’t get a save, and that sunk us.”
Reporter: “How do you move ahead when both goaltenders are kind of fighting it?”
Wilson: “Well, they’ve gotta work hard in practice. That’s their responsibility to sit there with Frankie [goalie coach Francois Allaire] and go over the games. At least now we go on the road, maybe they can relax a little bit and not worry about what happens if they make a mistake. And hopefully they’ll bounce back.”
It was widely predicted the Leafs would struggle when starting goalie James Reimer was lost to injury, and those predictions have come true. (Doesn’t sound like Reimer’s close to returning, either.) So you can understand why Wilson is trying to keep the media at bay — he’s got nothing good to say about his current goaltending situation, so it’s probably best not to say anything.
Just not sure how long that’s going to work. It’s the Toronto media, after all.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)