Nov 9, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
A day after Washington suffered their first loss at home, the Capitals had more to answer to than just a regular season defeat. You may remember that Mike Knuble had some harsh comments for his teammates and the work ethic last night. When a guy throws around words like “bunch of clowns” and “losers” when talking about his own team, you know things went sideways.
Here’s what Caps captain Alexander Ovechkin had to say about Knuble’s comments: “It’s not my problem.” Nice leadership. He went on to acknowledge that he also thought that his team played like a bunch of clowns because there was a lack of effort. He went onto talk about Knuble’s particular comments and the motivation they may provide. “I think somebody was mad,” Ovechkin said. “I think motivation is with us. It’s not just about words. If fans say something like we’re clowns or a group of idiots, it’s not going to be motivation for us. The motivation is we’re losing right now.”
Just about everyone in the Caps locker room was asked about the postgame comments—just about everyone understood where Knuble was coming from with his words. Jason Chimera said that the hard work needs to start with Ovechkin and Alexander Semin; then added that the hard workers on the team need give even more to the team.
If Knuble was going to feel any repercussions for his comments, Bruce Boudreau would be the man delivering the punishment. You probably shouldn’t hold your breath if you expect the veteran to be reprimanded. When asked about Knuble’s words and his dedication at the Caps tough practice today, Boudreau was to the point. “That’s what leaders do,” the Caps coach said. “They get mad and then they lead by example. The oldest guy out here was working as hard or harder than anybody.”
Now let’s see if the comments and bag skate have any effect on the ice. We’ll find out Friday night in New Jersey.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 4
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)