Nov 9, 2011, 12:08 PM EDT
Braydon Coburn is the face of the future in Philly. Coburn signed a four-year extension with the Flyers worth $18 million, good for a cap hit of $4.5 million per year over the course of the deal.
Coburn has been a steady second-pair guy for the Flyers and when you’re playing behind Chris Pronger as a defensive defenseman, life is made a little easier. At 26 years-old Coburn now becomes the solid rock they’ll look to build upon for the future. Not bad for a guy that the Flyers got from Atlanta for a washed up Alexei Zhitnik back in 2007, eh?
Coburn isn’t going to put goals on the board, but he is the guy that does his part in making sure the puck doesn’t end up in the Flyers net. Coburn started breaking out during the Flyers’ Stanley Cup finals run in 2010 and has grown to be one of their top defenders.
The price might seem a little high, but the Flyers are locked up with 20 contracts into next season according to CapGeek and are still well under the cap. If you have the space to spend, you might as well use it wisely and that’s what GM Paul Holmgren did here. Keeping Coburn away from free agency in the summer was key and now the Flyers hope to reap the benefits.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)