Nov 9, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
Today is Shanaban-free.
Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports that NHL spokesman John Dellapina said Washington D John Erskine won’t be fined or suspended for his hit on Dallas’ Trevor Daley. This news on the heels of the NHL’s ruling that Minnesota’s Nick Johnson won’t be fined or suspended for his alleged headbutt on Jarome Iginla.
You can see the hit at the 30 second mark of this video:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
And here’s all the relevant information:
— Erskine got a two-minute boarding penalty on the play.
— From the Washington Times: “Daley’s head looks back at Erskine as the hit is coming, so it’s not a blind-side check. Daley’s head is the principle point of contact. Erskine’s intent was to finish a check, but he led with his elbow or forearm. Daley was down for a few seconds but was not injured on the play.”
— Daley and Erskine were teammates in Dallas from 2003-05.
— Erskine: “I went to go hit him, I know the guy so I wasn’t going in intending to do a head shot or anything. It was accidental.”
Without speculating too much, Erskine might’ve avoided supplemental discipline because he’s not a repeat offender.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5