Nov 9, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
Today is Shanaban-free.
Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports that NHL spokesman John Dellapina said Washington D John Erskine won’t be fined or suspended for his hit on Dallas’ Trevor Daley. This news on the heels of the NHL’s ruling that Minnesota’s Nick Johnson won’t be fined or suspended for his alleged headbutt on Jarome Iginla.
You can see the hit at the 30 second mark of this video:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
And here’s all the relevant information:
– Erskine got a two-minute boarding penalty on the play.
– From the Washington Times: “Daley’s head looks back at Erskine as the hit is coming, so it’s not a blind-side check. Daley’s head is the principle point of contact. Erskine’s intent was to finish a check, but he led with his elbow or forearm. Daley was down for a few seconds but was not injured on the play.”
– Daley and Erskine were teammates in Dallas from 2003-05.
– Erskine: “I went to go hit him, I know the guy so I wasn’t going in intending to do a head shot or anything. It was accidental.”
Without speculating too much, Erskine might’ve avoided supplemental discipline because he’s not a repeat offender.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)