Nov 9, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
Today is Shanaban-free.
Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports that NHL spokesman John Dellapina said Washington D John Erskine won’t be fined or suspended for his hit on Dallas’ Trevor Daley. This news on the heels of the NHL’s ruling that Minnesota’s Nick Johnson won’t be fined or suspended for his alleged headbutt on Jarome Iginla.
You can see the hit at the 30 second mark of this video:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
And here’s all the relevant information:
– Erskine got a two-minute boarding penalty on the play.
– From the Washington Times: “Daley’s head looks back at Erskine as the hit is coming, so it’s not a blind-side check. Daley’s head is the principle point of contact. Erskine’s intent was to finish a check, but he led with his elbow or forearm. Daley was down for a few seconds but was not injured on the play.”
– Daley and Erskine were teammates in Dallas from 2003-05.
– Erskine: “I went to go hit him, I know the guy so I wasn’t going in intending to do a head shot or anything. It was accidental.”
Without speculating too much, Erskine might’ve avoided supplemental discipline because he’s not a repeat offender.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)