Nov 9, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
Today is Shanaban-free.
Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports that NHL spokesman John Dellapina said Washington D John Erskine won’t be fined or suspended for his hit on Dallas’ Trevor Daley. This news on the heels of the NHL’s ruling that Minnesota’s Nick Johnson won’t be fined or suspended for his alleged headbutt on Jarome Iginla.
You can see the hit at the 30 second mark of this video:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
And here’s all the relevant information:
– Erskine got a two-minute boarding penalty on the play.
– From the Washington Times: “Daley’s head looks back at Erskine as the hit is coming, so it’s not a blind-side check. Daley’s head is the principle point of contact. Erskine’s intent was to finish a check, but he led with his elbow or forearm. Daley was down for a few seconds but was not injured on the play.”
– Daley and Erskine were teammates in Dallas from 2003-05.
– Erskine: “I went to go hit him, I know the guy so I wasn’t going in intending to do a head shot or anything. It was accidental.”
Without speculating too much, Erskine might’ve avoided supplemental discipline because he’s not a repeat offender.
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 7
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 25
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 32
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2