Nov 9, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are the most surprising team in the NHL…to everyone that isn’t on the Dallas Stars.
“To be honest with you, going into the season, you can’t help but see what people are saying about your team,” he said. “Everybody is picking you to finish last, to be a disappointing season, have no chance and write you off early. After last night’s game a bunch of us went to dinner and everybody said, ‘I’ve been telling people since training camp that if you look at our lineup and look our roster, we’re a good team.’ I think everybody, except the guys in our locker room, wrote us off. But you know what? We’ve got a pretty good darn team here.”
A big key to the Stars’ success has been getting value out of low-salary players like Jamie Benn (5G, 13A) and Sheldon Souray (4G, 9A). The combined cap hit of those two is around $2.5 million, but they’re worth over $10 million the way they’re going.
Here’s the really exciting things for Stars fans: If prospective owner Tom Gaglardi can get control by the trade deadline and the team is still in a playoff position, GM Joe Nieuwendyk could get the green light to add some assets.
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 0
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 1
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 12
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 103
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)