Nov 9, 2011, 12:33 PM EST
The Dallas Stars are the most surprising team in the NHL…to everyone that isn’t on the Dallas Stars.
“To be honest with you, going into the season, you can’t help but see what people are saying about your team,” he said. “Everybody is picking you to finish last, to be a disappointing season, have no chance and write you off early. After last night’s game a bunch of us went to dinner and everybody said, ‘I’ve been telling people since training camp that if you look at our lineup and look our roster, we’re a good team.’ I think everybody, except the guys in our locker room, wrote us off. But you know what? We’ve got a pretty good darn team here.”
A big key to the Stars’ success has been getting value out of low-salary players like Jamie Benn (5G, 13A) and Sheldon Souray (4G, 9A). The combined cap hit of those two is around $2.5 million, but they’re worth over $10 million the way they’re going.
Here’s the really exciting things for Stars fans: If prospective owner Tom Gaglardi can get control by the trade deadline and the team is still in a playoff position, GM Joe Nieuwendyk could get the green light to add some assets.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)