Nov 9, 2011, 12:33 PM EST
The Dallas Stars are the most surprising team in the NHL…to everyone that isn’t on the Dallas Stars.
“To be honest with you, going into the season, you can’t help but see what people are saying about your team,” he said. “Everybody is picking you to finish last, to be a disappointing season, have no chance and write you off early. After last night’s game a bunch of us went to dinner and everybody said, ‘I’ve been telling people since training camp that if you look at our lineup and look our roster, we’re a good team.’ I think everybody, except the guys in our locker room, wrote us off. But you know what? We’ve got a pretty good darn team here.”
A big key to the Stars’ success has been getting value out of low-salary players like Jamie Benn (5G, 13A) and Sheldon Souray (4G, 9A). The combined cap hit of those two is around $2.5 million, but they’re worth over $10 million the way they’re going.
Here’s the really exciting things for Stars fans: If prospective owner Tom Gaglardi can get control by the trade deadline and the team is still in a playoff position, GM Joe Nieuwendyk could get the green light to add some assets.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)