Nov 9, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are the most surprising team in the NHL…to everyone that isn’t on the Dallas Stars.
“To be honest with you, going into the season, you can’t help but see what people are saying about your team,” he said. “Everybody is picking you to finish last, to be a disappointing season, have no chance and write you off early. After last night’s game a bunch of us went to dinner and everybody said, ‘I’ve been telling people since training camp that if you look at our lineup and look our roster, we’re a good team.’ I think everybody, except the guys in our locker room, wrote us off. But you know what? We’ve got a pretty good darn team here.”
A big key to the Stars’ success has been getting value out of low-salary players like Jamie Benn (5G, 13A) and Sheldon Souray (4G, 9A). The combined cap hit of those two is around $2.5 million, but they’re worth over $10 million the way they’re going.
Here’s the really exciting things for Stars fans: If prospective owner Tom Gaglardi can get control by the trade deadline and the team is still in a playoff position, GM Joe Nieuwendyk could get the green light to add some assets.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)