Nov 9, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are the most surprising team in the NHL…to everyone that isn’t on the Dallas Stars.
“To be honest with you, going into the season, you can’t help but see what people are saying about your team,” he said. “Everybody is picking you to finish last, to be a disappointing season, have no chance and write you off early. After last night’s game a bunch of us went to dinner and everybody said, ‘I’ve been telling people since training camp that if you look at our lineup and look our roster, we’re a good team.’ I think everybody, except the guys in our locker room, wrote us off. But you know what? We’ve got a pretty good darn team here.”
A big key to the Stars’ success has been getting value out of low-salary players like Jamie Benn (5G, 13A) and Sheldon Souray (4G, 9A). The combined cap hit of those two is around $2.5 million, but they’re worth over $10 million the way they’re going.
Here’s the really exciting things for Stars fans: If prospective owner Tom Gaglardi can get control by the trade deadline and the team is still in a playoff position, GM Joe Nieuwendyk could get the green light to add some assets.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)