Nov 9, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT
That personality came shining through in a recent interview with the San Jose Mercury News.
In advance of the Sharks’ game Thursday against the Wild — his first time playing in Minnesota since being traded to San Jose — Burns shared some feelings about his former team.
There were plenty of choice quotes:
— “I want them to lose every game. You think I want them to do well?”
— “I’ve been watching how they’ve been doing, hoping that they would lose every game. You have to be competitive to reach this level and I’m a pretty intense guy. And when a team doesn’t want you, you sure don’t want them to go 82-0.”
— “I have a lot of friends there and you want them to score six goals and lose.”
— “It’s like an ex-girlfriend. You really don’t want her to get the white-picket fence and the great job. It’s like a good country song.”
To be fair, these comments must be put in proper context. The Merc states Burns wasn’t speaking with any bitterness towards Minnesota — in fact, he talked at length about how much he liked the place. He still has a house there, loved the fans and said the Wild will always be a huge part of his life.
And when he says huge, he really means huge. See, Burns has a fairly massive tattoo on his back with a picture of his pets and the word “Wild” in green script. Not to be outdone, Burns’ dad has a “Born to Be Wild” comet with the Wild logo. Inside logo reads, “Brent Burns, First Round, 20th Overall, 2003.”
Burns isn’t the only player keeping an eye on Thursday’s affair. Minnesota’s Devin Setoguchi and Dany Heatley will face their former Sharks mates for the first time since being traded — Heatley spent two seasons in San Jose (going to the Western Conference final twice) while Setoguchi was drafted by the Sharks in 2005, playing five years with the club.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)