Nov 9, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT
That personality came shining through in a recent interview with the San Jose Mercury News.
In advance of the Sharks’ game Thursday against the Wild — his first time playing in Minnesota since being traded to San Jose — Burns shared some feelings about his former team.
There were plenty of choice quotes:
— “I want them to lose every game. You think I want them to do well?”
— “I’ve been watching how they’ve been doing, hoping that they would lose every game. You have to be competitive to reach this level and I’m a pretty intense guy. And when a team doesn’t want you, you sure don’t want them to go 82-0.”
— “I have a lot of friends there and you want them to score six goals and lose.”
— “It’s like an ex-girlfriend. You really don’t want her to get the white-picket fence and the great job. It’s like a good country song.”
To be fair, these comments must be put in proper context. The Merc states Burns wasn’t speaking with any bitterness towards Minnesota — in fact, he talked at length about how much he liked the place. He still has a house there, loved the fans and said the Wild will always be a huge part of his life.
And when he says huge, he really means huge. See, Burns has a fairly massive tattoo on his back with a picture of his pets and the word “Wild” in green script. Not to be outdone, Burns’ dad has a “Born to Be Wild” comet with the Wild logo. Inside logo reads, “Brent Burns, First Round, 20th Overall, 2003.”
Burns isn’t the only player keeping an eye on Thursday’s affair. Minnesota’s Devin Setoguchi and Dany Heatley will face their former Sharks mates for the first time since being traded — Heatley spent two seasons in San Jose (going to the Western Conference final twice) while Setoguchi was drafted by the Sharks in 2005, playing five years with the club.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)