Nov 9, 2011, 3:56 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau skated the slumping Capitals hard at this morning’s practice. Consider it punishment for last night’s 5-2 loss to Dallas at the Verizon Center.
When asked why he went the bag-skate route, the coach explained his thought process.
“It’s not something you do off the cuff,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “The initial thought is you’re so mad you want to do something and then you have to sit and say, ‘Okay, you’re mad, let’s do the right things here. What’s best for the group and everybody?’ You talk it over with the assistant coaches and we come to a decision that the initial thought is probably the thought that was going to work in this case. It’s not something that you do every day because if it’s one of those things that if you do it every day, it’s not going to work.”
Should be interesting to see how the Caps respond Friday in New Jersey. Boudreau won’t look good if they lay another egg. People will say the Caps have tuned out their coach, that they’re playing for him to be fired, etc.
That’s the risk a coach takes when he punishes his players in public. If it doesn’t get results, it looks like he’s lost for answers.
Hey, remember when the Caps were 7-0-0?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)