Nov 9, 2011, 3:56 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau skated the slumping Capitals hard at this morning’s practice. Consider it punishment for last night’s 5-2 loss to Dallas at the Verizon Center.
When asked why he went the bag-skate route, the coach explained his thought process.
“It’s not something you do off the cuff,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “The initial thought is you’re so mad you want to do something and then you have to sit and say, ‘Okay, you’re mad, let’s do the right things here. What’s best for the group and everybody?’ You talk it over with the assistant coaches and we come to a decision that the initial thought is probably the thought that was going to work in this case. It’s not something that you do every day because if it’s one of those things that if you do it every day, it’s not going to work.”
Should be interesting to see how the Caps respond Friday in New Jersey. Boudreau won’t look good if they lay another egg. People will say the Caps have tuned out their coach, that they’re playing for him to be fired, etc.
That’s the risk a coach takes when he punishes his players in public. If it doesn’t get results, it looks like he’s lost for answers.
Hey, remember when the Caps were 7-0-0?
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)