Nov 9, 2011, 3:56 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau skated the slumping Capitals hard at this morning’s practice. Consider it punishment for last night’s 5-2 loss to Dallas at the Verizon Center.
When asked why he went the bag-skate route, the coach explained his thought process.
“It’s not something you do off the cuff,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “The initial thought is you’re so mad you want to do something and then you have to sit and say, ‘Okay, you’re mad, let’s do the right things here. What’s best for the group and everybody?’ You talk it over with the assistant coaches and we come to a decision that the initial thought is probably the thought that was going to work in this case. It’s not something that you do every day because if it’s one of those things that if you do it every day, it’s not going to work.”
Should be interesting to see how the Caps respond Friday in New Jersey. Boudreau won’t look good if they lay another egg. People will say the Caps have tuned out their coach, that they’re playing for him to be fired, etc.
That’s the risk a coach takes when he punishes his players in public. If it doesn’t get results, it looks like he’s lost for answers.
Hey, remember when the Caps were 7-0-0?
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)