Nov 9, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Toronto’s goaltending has been terrible the past two games. On Saturday, Ben Scrivens got lit up by the Bruins before being replaced by Jonas Gustavsson. Tuesday, Gustavsson got lit up by the Panthers before being replaced by Scrivens.
Clearly the Leafs are missing James Reimer.
However, goaltending isn’t the only thing that’s failing them. Coach Ron Wilson admits his team “got away with wins” in New Jersey and Columbus thanks to some poor goaltending by the opposition. He warned his players their sloppy play would catch up to them, and he was right.
Take a look at the first Florida goal last night:
Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles doesn’t get the puck in deep and the Panthers are off to the races with a forward, Nikolai Kulemin, forced to defend. Kulemin knocks Gustavsson into a tailspin, Luke Schenn gets beaten (badly) and the puck’s in the net.
Now here’s Florida’s third goal:
Just a horrendous pinch by Mike Komisarek, and once again the Panthers are counterattacking with a Leafs forward back to defend.
Complacency can be a problem for any team that’s winning games. But is it just complacency, or is this the Toronto team that everyone expected to see this season? Because it looks a lot like the Toronto team we saw last season.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (61)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)