Nov 9, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Toronto’s goaltending has been terrible the past two games. On Saturday, Ben Scrivens got lit up by the Bruins before being replaced by Jonas Gustavsson. Tuesday, Gustavsson got lit up by the Panthers before being replaced by Scrivens.
Clearly the Leafs are missing James Reimer.
However, goaltending isn’t the only thing that’s failing them. Coach Ron Wilson admits his team “got away with wins” in New Jersey and Columbus thanks to some poor goaltending by the opposition. He warned his players their sloppy play would catch up to them, and he was right.
Take a look at the first Florida goal last night:
Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles doesn’t get the puck in deep and the Panthers are off to the races with a forward, Nikolai Kulemin, forced to defend. Kulemin knocks Gustavsson into a tailspin, Luke Schenn gets beaten (badly) and the puck’s in the net.
Now here’s Florida’s third goal:
Just a horrendous pinch by Mike Komisarek, and once again the Panthers are counterattacking with a Leafs forward back to defend.
Complacency can be a problem for any team that’s winning games. But is it just complacency, or is this the Toronto team that everyone expected to see this season? Because it looks a lot like the Toronto team we saw last season.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)