Nov 9, 2011, 2:41 PM EST
Toronto’s goaltending has been terrible the past two games. On Saturday, Ben Scrivens got lit up by the Bruins before being replaced by Jonas Gustavsson. Tuesday, Gustavsson got lit up by the Panthers before being replaced by Scrivens.
Clearly the Leafs are missing James Reimer.
However, goaltending isn’t the only thing that’s failing them. Coach Ron Wilson admits his team “got away with wins” in New Jersey and Columbus thanks to some poor goaltending by the opposition. He warned his players their sloppy play would catch up to them, and he was right.
Take a look at the first Florida goal last night:
Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles doesn’t get the puck in deep and the Panthers are off to the races with a forward, Nikolai Kulemin, forced to defend. Kulemin knocks Gustavsson into a tailspin, Luke Schenn gets beaten (badly) and the puck’s in the net.
Now here’s Florida’s third goal:
Just a horrendous pinch by Mike Komisarek, and once again the Panthers are counterattacking with a Leafs forward back to defend.
Complacency can be a problem for any team that’s winning games. But is it just complacency, or is this the Toronto team that everyone expected to see this season? Because it looks a lot like the Toronto team we saw last season.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)