Nov 9, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Toronto’s goaltending has been terrible the past two games. On Saturday, Ben Scrivens got lit up by the Bruins before being replaced by Jonas Gustavsson. Tuesday, Gustavsson got lit up by the Panthers before being replaced by Scrivens.
Clearly the Leafs are missing James Reimer.
However, goaltending isn’t the only thing that’s failing them. Coach Ron Wilson admits his team “got away with wins” in New Jersey and Columbus thanks to some poor goaltending by the opposition. He warned his players their sloppy play would catch up to them, and he was right.
Take a look at the first Florida goal last night:
Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles doesn’t get the puck in deep and the Panthers are off to the races with a forward, Nikolai Kulemin, forced to defend. Kulemin knocks Gustavsson into a tailspin, Luke Schenn gets beaten (badly) and the puck’s in the net.
Now here’s Florida’s third goal:
Just a horrendous pinch by Mike Komisarek, and once again the Panthers are counterattacking with a Leafs forward back to defend.
Complacency can be a problem for any team that’s winning games. But is it just complacency, or is this the Toronto team that everyone expected to see this season? Because it looks a lot like the Toronto team we saw last season.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1