Nov 9, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Toronto’s goaltending has been terrible the past two games. On Saturday, Ben Scrivens got lit up by the Bruins before being replaced by Jonas Gustavsson. Tuesday, Gustavsson got lit up by the Panthers before being replaced by Scrivens.
Clearly the Leafs are missing James Reimer.
However, goaltending isn’t the only thing that’s failing them. Coach Ron Wilson admits his team “got away with wins” in New Jersey and Columbus thanks to some poor goaltending by the opposition. He warned his players their sloppy play would catch up to them, and he was right.
Take a look at the first Florida goal last night:
Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles doesn’t get the puck in deep and the Panthers are off to the races with a forward, Nikolai Kulemin, forced to defend. Kulemin knocks Gustavsson into a tailspin, Luke Schenn gets beaten (badly) and the puck’s in the net.
Now here’s Florida’s third goal:
Just a horrendous pinch by Mike Komisarek, and once again the Panthers are counterattacking with a Leafs forward back to defend.
Complacency can be a problem for any team that’s winning games. But is it just complacency, or is this the Toronto team that everyone expected to see this season? Because it looks a lot like the Toronto team we saw last season.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)