Nov 9, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
The New York Rangers were dealt another surgery-related blow today when it was revealed center Mike Rupp underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. This was the “cranky knee” ailment so accurately diagnosed by Dr. John Tortorella earlier in the year; Rupp could miss up to six weeks recovering from the surgery.
It’s a tough loss for the Rangers. On Monday, the club announced that LW Wojtek Wolski would undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and would miss the next four weeks of action, thinning out New York’s already svelte forward unit.
With both Rupp and Wolski out, the Rangers have few replacement options up front. One was to call up Sean Avery from AHL Connecticut (which they did) but in two games with the Rangers, he’s only averaged five minutes of ice time per game. He, along with fellow fourth-liners Andre Deveaux and Erik Christensen, have been used sparingly by Tortorella recently, which partly explains why Ryan Callahan and Brad Richards each played over 22 minutes against Winnipeg.
Simply put, New York needs some help up front. AHL options are few (Mats Zuccarello could get the call) — the team might make a stopgap move for forward depth once Marc Staal goes on LTIR and cap space gets freed up.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)