Nov 9, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
The New York Rangers were dealt another surgery-related blow today when it was revealed center Mike Rupp underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. This was the “cranky knee” ailment so accurately diagnosed by Dr. John Tortorella earlier in the year; Rupp could miss up to six weeks recovering from the surgery.
It’s a tough loss for the Rangers. On Monday, the club announced that LW Wojtek Wolski would undergo abdominal surgery to repair a sports hernia and would miss the next four weeks of action, thinning out New York’s already svelte forward unit.
With both Rupp and Wolski out, the Rangers have few replacement options up front. One was to call up Sean Avery from AHL Connecticut (which they did) but in two games with the Rangers, he’s only averaged five minutes of ice time per game. He, along with fellow fourth-liners Andre Deveaux and Erik Christensen, have been used sparingly by Tortorella recently, which partly explains why Ryan Callahan and Brad Richards each played over 22 minutes against Winnipeg.
Simply put, New York needs some help up front. AHL options are few (Mats Zuccarello could get the call) — the team might make a stopgap move for forward depth once Marc Staal goes on LTIR and cap space gets freed up.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal