Nov 9, 2011, 9:28 AM EST
We all know that when Alexander Semin tries he can be a great offensive player. This season, however, he’s been better at putting his team down a man than up by a goal. With 18 penalty minutes on the season, Semin is the Caps’ de facto “goon” in that he’s leading the team in penalties. For a guy that’s supposed to help the team score goals, that’s no good.
Semin’s play last night in a circus-like performance losing 5-2 to Dallas came under fire by coach Bruce Boudreau. Boudreau cut Semin’s ice time last night after taking a brutal penalty that led to a game-changing power play goal. Boudreau ranted after the game and CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley was there to get the brunt of his frustration with Semin and what to do to fix it.
“You address it by taking ice time away,” Boudreau said. “Alex Semin got two shifts after that penalty and they were both on power plays. As hard as he worked in the first period – he scored a goal – he can’t be leading our team in minors. He’s got nine minors in 13 games. That can’t be done. He’s got to move his legs and not take those penalties.”
Gormley suggests that perhaps the last way left to get through to Semin is to scratch him for a game and learn his lesson. It’d be a harsh way to go about things, but if Boudreau is at the breaking point, it could be the only way to make it clear that dumb penalties won’t be tolerated. Would that be too harsh or the right way to go about it?
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)