Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 AM EST
Derek Boogaard’s sad passing this summer due to an alcohol and painkiller overdose has seen the Rangers pay tribute to him in the form of a video and will now see the Minnesota Wild go the extra mile to pay respects to him.
The Wild be honoring Boogaard before they drop the puck at home against Calgary on November 27. Boogaard’s family will be in attendance and they’ll be showing a tribute video of their own showing what Boogaard did for the Wild on and off the ice. While he was a brutal enforcer on the ice, his charity work with Defending The Blue Line might be his greatest legacy.
The Wild were the team Boogaard was best associated with and while his time with the Rangers turned out to be short, he was a folk hero of sorts in Minnesota. Having this evening of closure should prove to be a needed emotional release for all involved.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)