Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 AM EST
Derek Boogaard’s sad passing this summer due to an alcohol and painkiller overdose has seen the Rangers pay tribute to him in the form of a video and will now see the Minnesota Wild go the extra mile to pay respects to him.
The Wild be honoring Boogaard before they drop the puck at home against Calgary on November 27. Boogaard’s family will be in attendance and they’ll be showing a tribute video of their own showing what Boogaard did for the Wild on and off the ice. While he was a brutal enforcer on the ice, his charity work with Defending The Blue Line might be his greatest legacy.
The Wild were the team Boogaard was best associated with and while his time with the Rangers turned out to be short, he was a folk hero of sorts in Minnesota. Having this evening of closure should prove to be a needed emotional release for all involved.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)