Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Derek Boogaard’s sad passing this summer due to an alcohol and painkiller overdose has seen the Rangers pay tribute to him in the form of a video and will now see the Minnesota Wild go the extra mile to pay respects to him.
The Wild be honoring Boogaard before they drop the puck at home against Calgary on November 27. Boogaard’s family will be in attendance and they’ll be showing a tribute video of their own showing what Boogaard did for the Wild on and off the ice. While he was a brutal enforcer on the ice, his charity work with Defending The Blue Line might be his greatest legacy.
The Wild were the team Boogaard was best associated with and while his time with the Rangers turned out to be short, he was a folk hero of sorts in Minnesota. Having this evening of closure should prove to be a needed emotional release for all involved.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)