Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Derek Boogaard’s sad passing this summer due to an alcohol and painkiller overdose has seen the Rangers pay tribute to him in the form of a video and will now see the Minnesota Wild go the extra mile to pay respects to him.
The Wild be honoring Boogaard before they drop the puck at home against Calgary on November 27. Boogaard’s family will be in attendance and they’ll be showing a tribute video of their own showing what Boogaard did for the Wild on and off the ice. While he was a brutal enforcer on the ice, his charity work with Defending The Blue Line might be his greatest legacy.
The Wild were the team Boogaard was best associated with and while his time with the Rangers turned out to be short, he was a folk hero of sorts in Minnesota. Having this evening of closure should prove to be a needed emotional release for all involved.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)