Nov 8, 2011, 6:25 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Joe Pavelski, San Jose Sharks
Clearly we had to pick Pavelski after what he said to the media recently: “You guys already are trying to pump me up too much.”
Hey, that’s what happens when you rack up 17 points in your first 13 games. It’s not the media’s fault they’re pumping your tires. It’s YOUR fault, Joe Pavelski. Stop being so…good.
Formerly San Jose’s third-line center, the 27-year-old has been a scoring machine playing the wing on the Sharks’ top line with Joe Thornton in the middle and either Logan Couture or Patrick Marleau on the other side.
“Pavs is just really good around the net,” Thornton told the Mercury News last week. “He has nice hands with a great shot. He goes to dirty areas and works hard. When you put all those things together, you’re going to score a lot of goals.”
Of those nine goals, none were bigger than this late one against the Devils on Oct. 21:
The Sharks ended up winning the game in a shootout, snapping a three-game losing streak, then went on to win four more in a row.
Joe Pavelski, everyone.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22