Nov 8, 2011, 6:25 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Joe Pavelski, San Jose Sharks
Clearly we had to pick Pavelski after what he said to the media recently: “You guys already are trying to pump me up too much.”
Hey, that’s what happens when you rack up 17 points in your first 13 games. It’s not the media’s fault they’re pumping your tires. It’s YOUR fault, Joe Pavelski. Stop being so…good.
Formerly San Jose’s third-line center, the 27-year-old has been a scoring machine playing the wing on the Sharks’ top line with Joe Thornton in the middle and either Logan Couture or Patrick Marleau on the other side.
“Pavs is just really good around the net,” Thornton told the Mercury News last week. “He has nice hands with a great shot. He goes to dirty areas and works hard. When you put all those things together, you’re going to score a lot of goals.”
Of those nine goals, none were bigger than this late one against the Devils on Oct. 21:
The Sharks ended up winning the game in a shootout, snapping a three-game losing streak, then went on to win four more in a row.
Joe Pavelski, everyone.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25