Nov 8, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
You’d think that a team that’s won a couple games in a row would be feeling good about things heading into a game against a team that’s lost two in a row and talking about a potential shake up.
Such is not the case as the Devils take on the Hurricanes (7:30 p.m. ET) as the Devils may likely be going into tonight’s game without Ilya Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk has been the Devils’ all-world Mr. Everything this season. He’s led them in minutes played by nearly two minutes a game over rookie Adam Larsson. He’s playing on the penalty kill, the power play, as well as left and right wing. You name it, he’s doing it.
Without him in the lineup, the Devils have to spread it around a bit more. Zach Parise and Adam Henrique have benefited from both having Kovalchuk there and going without him in the meantime. With all that going on, the Devils have the oldest pair of goalies doing things in Johan Hedberg and Martin Brodeur. Brodeur is still trying to come back from a shoulder injury and has looked shaky since then.
Carolina, meanwhile, has a captain in Eric Staal that’s having a miserable start to his season. While Jeff Skinner carries the offense, Staal has been snake bitten to the nth degree. Cam Ward has been OK in goal but the Hurricanes defense struggles still. Jussi Jokinen being out of action isn’t helping things and GM Jim Rutherford is talking about shake ups coming if things don’t get fixed soon.
Do the Canes snap out of it or do the Devils win again without Kovalchuk?
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)