Steckel sticks to his story on Crosby collision

Nov 8, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT

We’ve all seen David Steckel’s collision with Sidney Crosby during the 2011 Winter Classic that left the Penguins’ superstar sidelined with a concussion. In fact, we’ve all seen it over and over and over. It’s basically the Zapruder film of the NHL, except with multiple angles.

I still have no idea if Steckel meant to make contact with Crosby or not. I’ve leaned towards Don Cherry’s theory that it was intentionally unintentional, though not malicious. Which is the same way I saw Wojtek Wolski’s hit on Daniel Alfredsson. But maybe that’s because I used to do stuff like that when I played. “I’m going to keep skating in a straight line, and if you get in the way, that’s your own fault.”

As Crosby gets closer to returning (possibly this Friday), Steckel continues to claim his innocence.

“I’m sure for as many people who thought it was an accident there are as many people who think it was intentional,” he said, as reported by Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy. “Obviously people who are with me say they think it was an accident, whether they actually believe that or they’re just trying to make me feel better.”

If Steckel’s telling the truth, you have to feel for the guy. Being accused of something you didn’t do is bad enough when it’s just one person doing the accusing, not thousands. Millions even. There’s nothing he can do about it either. People are going to buy his story or they aren’t.

1. hibackhand - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Isn’t “steckel” yiddish for penis?

• Mike Halford - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Isn’t it how Tim Whatley measured flouride?

2. rainyday56 - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM

You have super stars that don’t look where they are going, and elite goaltenders (Luongo) who don’t keep their paddles on the ice, a habit that is supposed to be gone by bantam level. Don’t buy tickets to this league, you will not get your money’s worth.

3. reachers87 - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Not sure what that has to do with the hit….shouldn’t have to look for a hit when you don’t have the puck

• stakex - Nov 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM

But you do have to keep your head up so you don’t skate into someone……..

4. icedog97 - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM

The “keep your head up” comments are stupid…Crosby never head the puck and he was watching the puck.

That said…I think it was an accident and people should leave Steckel alone already. In the video, he appears to try and get out of Crosby’s way. So either he made it look good or it was an accident…and like I said, I think it was the latter (an accident).

• icedog97 - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM

never HAD the puck…sorry for my terrible spelling…

5. jpelle82 - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:57 PM

who cares what steckel has to SAY about it. doesnt change the fact that it happened and doesnt change the result. we should feel bad for steckel because when the curtain falls on his career, this will probably be the only thing anyone remembers him for

6. stakex - Nov 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM

First of all, Don Cherry is a huge Crosby fan… so hes going to look for someone to blame in this situation. Its only natural, but hes very wrong.

If you watch the hit from the side camera angle, it does in fact look like Steckel MIGHT have seen Crosby coming at him and just didn’t bother avoiding him. However when you watch the play from the camera behind the net, you can clearly see Steckel is watching the play, never looks in Crosby’s direction, and never makes a move at Crosby (when Wolski hit Alfredsson there was a clear flinch in Alfredsson’s direction by Wolski). Crosby simply skates right into Steckel whos not a small guy, and gets the worst of it. Thats it. It was an un-fortunate accident.

While I won’t say Crosby should have had his head up, he should have been watching where he was skating. As someone who plays hockey, I know damn well its a dangerous thing to not pay attention to where your drifting without the puck. Your on the ice with some very large guys, moving very fast…. and accidently skating into one of them can result in serious injury, as happened to Crosby. Just because you don’t have the puck, doesn’t mean you can just skate around without a care in the world.

Side Note: Even if Steckel saw Crosby coming (he didn’t, you can see he never looked in that direction)… there is nothing that says he has to get out of Crosby’s way. So even if Steckel did let Crosby run into him (he didn’t), he did nothing wrong on the play and the league made a bold and very good call in not suspending him.

7. specialkoolaid - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Cherry was right on this one…

Steckel hit Crosby with a lot of impact. Obviously steckel would have felt that impact and one would think that he would look behind him to see what the heck just happened if it was indeed unintentional? Heck, one of the opposing team players looked back!

It was a masterful hit I must say. And there is no way that Steckel is going to admit he was responsible for taking a cheapshot on one of the marquee players in the game.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches