Nov 8, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT
Ryan Miller is one of the best goalies in the NHL. No one would debate this. The way he’s played so far this season, however, has caused doubt to creep in and for some crazy fans in Buffalo to want to see backup Jhonas Enroth to get a few more starts. While Enroth has played strong, it’ll be up to Miller to get it done tonight against Winnipeg and for more than a few reasons.
Getting his game turned around is the biggest thing. With how Miller’s played, he’s reminded people more of a third-string goalie than a guy capable of starting the gold medal game in the Olympics.
Keeping the peanut gallery quiet about wanting Enroth to start more games would do wonders as well. While it’s great that Enroth is providing great support while Miller struggles, Miller is the guy that will take them to a Stanley Cup if they’re going to get there.
As coach Lindy Ruff said today to the Buffalo News: “Any player can go through a tough stretch. In Ryan’s situation, he’s played good but he hasn’t played great and I’ll be the first to admit that. It might be a timely save here or there that makes a difference.”
Just a spark is what Miller needs. The Sabres need him to bring his A-game tonight to show that this bad spell is just that.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32