Nov 8, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT
Ryan Miller is one of the best goalies in the NHL. No one would debate this. The way he’s played so far this season, however, has caused doubt to creep in and for some crazy fans in Buffalo to want to see backup Jhonas Enroth to get a few more starts. While Enroth has played strong, it’ll be up to Miller to get it done tonight against Winnipeg and for more than a few reasons.
Getting his game turned around is the biggest thing. With how Miller’s played, he’s reminded people more of a third-string goalie than a guy capable of starting the gold medal game in the Olympics.
Keeping the peanut gallery quiet about wanting Enroth to start more games would do wonders as well. While it’s great that Enroth is providing great support while Miller struggles, Miller is the guy that will take them to a Stanley Cup if they’re going to get there.
As coach Lindy Ruff said today to the Buffalo News: “Any player can go through a tough stretch. In Ryan’s situation, he’s played good but he hasn’t played great and I’ll be the first to admit that. It might be a timely save here or there that makes a difference.”
Just a spark is what Miller needs. The Sabres need him to bring his A-game tonight to show that this bad spell is just that.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2