Nov 8, 2011, 1:14 PM EST
Ryan Miller is one of the best goalies in the NHL. No one would debate this. The way he’s played so far this season, however, has caused doubt to creep in and for some crazy fans in Buffalo to want to see backup Jhonas Enroth to get a few more starts. While Enroth has played strong, it’ll be up to Miller to get it done tonight against Winnipeg and for more than a few reasons.
Getting his game turned around is the biggest thing. With how Miller’s played, he’s reminded people more of a third-string goalie than a guy capable of starting the gold medal game in the Olympics.
Keeping the peanut gallery quiet about wanting Enroth to start more games would do wonders as well. While it’s great that Enroth is providing great support while Miller struggles, Miller is the guy that will take them to a Stanley Cup if they’re going to get there.
As coach Lindy Ruff said today to the Buffalo News: ”Any player can go through a tough stretch. In Ryan’s situation, he’s played good but he hasn’t played great and I’ll be the first to admit that. It might be a timely save here or there that makes a difference.”
Just a spark is what Miller needs. The Sabres need him to bring his A-game tonight to show that this bad spell is just that.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 9
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)