Nov 8, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
It’s a special night tonight in Buffalo — prior to the Sabres-Jets game, longtime play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret will be inducted into the Sabres Hall of Fame. Jeanneret and current Hockey Hall of Famer Dale Hawerchuck (who will also be inducted this evening) will become the 40th and 41st individuals to achieve this honor.
The fact Jeanneret is letting this happen while still doing games is special in itself. Now in his 40th year of calling Sabres games, he originally wanted to receive these types of accolades after his career was done.
So, why the change of heart?
“I had a lot of people asking me to do it,” Jeanneret told the Buffalo News. “I didn’t have anything against it, I just always thought I would wait until I was all done before I accepted any offers. But for various reasons, I stopped and thought about it again [this offseason] and I agreed that this was a time do it.”
Just so we’re clear, Jeanneret is awesome. He’s one of the greatest voices in NHL history and responsible for some of the greatest calls of all time. A personal favorite of mine is when Brian Campbell hit RJ Umberger during the 2006 playoffs:
Also enjoyed this “cookie monster” call from Daniel Briere‘s OT winner against Edmonton:
But those pale in comparison to Jeanneret’s most memorable moment — the “MAY DAY!” call on Brad May’s series-clinching goal in the 1993 Adams Division semifinal against Boston:
Got any favorite Rick Jeanneret calls of your own? (I’ve tried to find the ”Tis the season, fa la la la la, la Lafontaine” clip — no luck though.) Feel free to add them in the comments section below.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 0
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 7
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 78
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)