Nov 8, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
It’s a special night tonight in Buffalo — prior to the Sabres-Jets game, longtime play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret will be inducted into the Sabres Hall of Fame. Jeanneret and current Hockey Hall of Famer Dale Hawerchuck (who will also be inducted this evening) will become the 40th and 41st individuals to achieve this honor.
The fact Jeanneret is letting this happen while still doing games is special in itself. Now in his 40th year of calling Sabres games, he originally wanted to receive these types of accolades after his career was done.
So, why the change of heart?
“I had a lot of people asking me to do it,” Jeanneret told the Buffalo News. “I didn’t have anything against it, I just always thought I would wait until I was all done before I accepted any offers. But for various reasons, I stopped and thought about it again [this offseason] and I agreed that this was a time do it.”
Just so we’re clear, Jeanneret is awesome. He’s one of the greatest voices in NHL history and responsible for some of the greatest calls of all time. A personal favorite of mine is when Brian Campbell hit RJ Umberger during the 2006 playoffs:
Also enjoyed this “cookie monster” call from Daniel Briere‘s OT winner against Edmonton:
But those pale in comparison to Jeanneret’s most memorable moment — the “MAY DAY!” call on Brad May’s series-clinching goal in the 1993 Adams Division semifinal against Boston:
Got any favorite Rick Jeanneret calls of your own? (I’ve tried to find the ”Tis the season, fa la la la la, la Lafontaine” clip — no luck though.) Feel free to add them in the comments section below.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)